HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

DontSettleWithHonda.org RE: '06-'06 HCHs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default DontSettleWithHonda.org RE: '06-'06 HCHs

I just found the site http://dontsettlewithhonda.org which has interviews (audio, video and print) where Heather Peters has opted out of the class action suit and she's taking Honda to Small Claims court.

Check it out!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DontSettleWithHonda.org RE: '06-'06 HCHs

Originally Posted by HCHRobert
I just found the site http://dontsettlewithhonda.org which has interviews (audio, video and print) where Heather Peters has opted out of the class action suit and she's taking Honda to Small Claims court.

Check it out!
I'm looking into it.

While there are many issues, I'm less concerned about MPG, and more concerned about battery life. I've had a faulty IMA module and other IMA warning signals. Plus I've had both a 2005 and 2007 HCH.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

and more concerned about battery life
100% agree.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

I think it's ironic that Heather's complaint is about advertised gas mileage, when the real let down is premature failure of the IMA battery and all of Honda's miserable non-solutions to that problem ...

Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think it's ironic that Heather's complaint is about advertised gas mileage, when the real let down is premature failure of the IMA battery and all of Honda's miserable non-solutions to that problem ...
Agreed. I have a battery that has no ability for any reserve capacity (I get about 1 second of full assist) and still 18,000 kms of warranty. With moderate 'hyper-miler' techniques I'm still able to wring about 5.3L/100 km at this time of year. I'd be surprised if a judge gives her what she is asking......

Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

The latest info states that she had a Honda tech certify how the software updates lowered her mileage quite a bit:
"Even if Honda's advertising was totally honest at the point of sale (which it was not), last year Honda tricked Civic Hybrid owners into doing an irreversible software update. The letter said that the update would "help prevent early IMA battery deterioration". This sounded great, but Honda didn't tell us that it would do this by reprogramming the engine to use more gas and would drastically reduce MPG. Owners like Ms. Peters report that they get less than 30 MPG since the update, practically half the 50 MPG advertised. A Honda Certified Technician confirmed this at trial."

Now, the question I have is this- the settlement letter stated you can get $200 or you can pay $250 and go into arbitration. Does anybody know what that involves and what can it do?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reagle
Now, the question I have is this- the settlement letter stated you can get $200 or you can pay $250 and go into arbitration. Does anybody know what that involves and what can it do?
Read the fine print: it means you still get $100 but have to pay $250 towards arbitration. It means a possibility of more money.

What I am unclear on is whether the battery life warranty extension to 92k miles/9 years is in effect if we choose the mediation option.

I'm willing to forego $100 of the $200 settlement and pay the $250 arbitration fees, but I don't want to lose that battery warranty extension offered in the settlement.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here in NY, we get 10year 150k warranty on IMA anyways. (Not that it does any good until the light comes on)
I saw the arbitration fees structure, but not being a lawyer, I don't know how that works. Do you get a mini hearing vs Honda rep and need to bring your lawyer and all that?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reagle
Here in NY, we get 10year 150k warranty on IMA anyways. (Not that it does any good until the light comes on)
I saw the arbitration fees structure, but not being a lawyer, I don't know how that works. Do you get a mini hearing vs Honda rep and need to bring your lawyer and all that?
The arbitration co enters informal discussions with Honda America on your behalf. You are allowed to hire an attorney as well. I don't know any more than is on the form.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 AM
Owner

Here's my plan (as of today):
I have a 06, so I get 2 x $100 and 2 x $500 rebates that can be transferred (sold on eBay for around $400 apiece)=$1,000. This plus the federal tax credit ($2,100) that I got in 06 will take care of most if not all of the amount the HCH is more than a non-hybrid Civic. Around $3,100.

From a financial standpoint this is all well and good. But I bought a hybrid to get the posted MPG (or at least close). I've been getting in the low 30s since the software update.

The big question is: what will happen if I go the dispute resolution program route? I know I have to pay $250 and will only get $500, so basically losing out on $750. But what if the program pays for a new battery, or at least most of one?

I think I'm going to wait until I get an idea of what to expect from the dispute resolution program. If I talk to my dealership's service department long enough, I can get an idea of what the dispute resolution program is doing.

Quick Reply: DontSettleWithHonda.org RE: '06-'06 HCHs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands