HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Driving In Southern Cali Heat - Sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Driving In Southern Cali Heat - Sluggish

Driving here in So Cal is getting tough with the heat. We had 100 degree plus temperatures for several days.

I seemed to notice that once it gets above 90, the car loses a lot of power, even if the battery's charged pretty good. Do others see this, too??

Also, the battery seems to discharge (or charge less). Once in a while, I've parked with nearly a full charge on the IMA battery. The couple of times this happened, it was HOT out, and when I got back, the car was at a very low charge. What's happening here, and is it anything to have fixed?

Thanks, all...

Lansing

Old 06-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving In Southern Cali Heat - Sluggish

It seemed like mine was a bit sluggish too, but I also had the AC on the whole time. I've found that it works pretty well to set the temp at 80 on Auto (and it even keeps my AC addicted girlfriend happy). It could also be the fact that our cars are already on the low end of the power scale and as the temp goes up the air is less dense (like going up in altitude) and thus less power is available.

I didn't have the same issue with the battery, but it definitely drains faster with the AC on.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

FWIW I'm in So. Cal and do not notice any sluggishness.

Of course I never use my AC and drive like a snail on morphine.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

That could be it. I max out the AC because I am in my work clothes and sweatin' up a storm. The AC probably saps the energy and the IMA charge. Just seems like a huge difference between driving in 70 degree weather and 95 degree heat.

Lansing

Old 06-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am usually able to change into shorts, tank top and flip flops when I drive in high heat.

It's kind of a hassle but I'd rather save the gas.

In work clothes I can stand only up to about 80 degrees without AC.
In these clothes and with the fan on I'm comfortable up to 90 degrees without AC.

YMMV.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lansing
Driving here in So Cal is getting tough with the heat. We had 100 degree plus temperatures for several days.
I had the same thing a couple weeks ago when Toronto was in a hot spell for a few days with similar temperatures. Sitting in idle auto stop at long traffic lights in the sunshine really sucked down the battery charge. With no more assist until the charge was back up, the car's acceleration did feel different -- not as much pickup -- but it was still sufficient.

I'm just glad the IMA battery was buffering some of the higher energy consumption of maximum A/C instead of the engine.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

The IMA system hates a hot battery pack. The hotter it gets, the less assist you will get until it cools down (if you let it). For at least the start of your drive: If your car sits in 100 deg all day, the pack will be hot and until the interior cools down -and the pack with it - there won't be much assist.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

When the IMA battery gets low (2-3 bars), the computer will prohibit battery assist on acceleration and instead use engine power to re-charge the battery. That's probably the reason for your HCH's sluggish feel.

Also, it's true that internal combustion engines see decreased performance with increased temperatures. 110 degrees may cause a noticeable performance decrease in an HCH.

I know that scientists who measure engine performance pay careful attention to atmospheric conditions during the test. I think the standard temp. for measurements is 59 degrees Fahrenheit, and humidity factors in, as well.