HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Dying or nearly Dead IMA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Dying or nearly Dead IMA?

Hi All,

I've been reading alot here the last few days. Recently purchased a 2007 HCH for my son with 168K kms or 105K miles (I know, not the best choice). There were frequent recals shortly after buying it but it still seemed to work (not sure if the recals were due to the software update - which it apparently had). Then last Sunday the IMA and CEL lights came on - not good.
I've looked around the web for battery/stick suppliers, but being in Canada makes this kind of out of reach.
I tried the 12V volt reset yesterday but when charging after the first disconnect it charged slowly from 1 bar to 3 bars on SOC then right up to full and stopped charging (after about 3 minutes). It did the same on the next two disconnects/recharge. We drove it for about five minutes afterwards and it seemed stronger with assist and charging, but then went into recal again. Last night the IMA and CEL came back on. We have ordered an ODBII bluetooth to check the code.

Any suggestions as to what may be going on or how to prolong (no pun intended) the usefulness of the car?

Much appreciated, Gord

Old 01-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dying or nearly Dead IMA?

Recals are always due to a deteriorated/failing/failed battery. Always. The patch doesn't cause recals. It makes the BCM less tolerant of the imbalance due to a weak battery.

If you have O'Reilly Auto Parts in your country, they usually use Bosch brand codes readers. Here in the States, they will check codes for free. Additionally IN THE STATES, you can use a paperclip and BLINK the codes (count long and slow blinks of CEL and IMA lights to determine the detail codes). This is more effective than most code readers as some codes have multiple causes, and you can't properly diagnose without the blink codes.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, we have a Parts Source, I'll check there to see if they will read for free.

I see about the recals, the update caused them more frequently, when the battery starts to go.

Any ideas on why the 12V disconnect/charge X 3 behaved the way it did? We had just gotten back from driving it when we tried, should we have let it sit for a bit...

Thanks, Gord.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM

12V disconnect/charge x3 only works for batteries at the threshold of excessive imbalance/failure. Once past the point of no return, They are about as effective as you observed, or worse.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GorMac
I see about the recals, the update caused them more frequently, when the battery starts to go.
Yep the update can prevent a good battery from becoming bad (essentially using about 50-60% of the available battery capacity instead of 100% to increase battery lifespan), but can't rescue a dead battery.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:08 PM

AND it can make a marginal battery that appeared to perform acceptably start to recalibrate like a bastid.