HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

E-10 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: E-10 mpg

UNDERSTAND SOMETHING....
I WANT TO HAVE THE CHOICE!!!!!!!

I don't want some government bureaucrat telling me I MUST use E10!!!

This is about loosing freedom as much as it is about loosing MPG.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by SanAntonio Joe
UNDERSTAND SOMETHING....
I WANT TO HAVE THE CHOICE!!!!!!!

I don't want some government bureaucrat telling me I MUST use E10!!!

This is about loosing freedom as much as it is about loosing MPG.
You're hung up on something that does not make sense.

Do you buy leaded gas?
Do you buy asbestos ceiling tile?
Do you buy DDT pesticide?
Do you buy orange paint with Uranium base?
Do you buy deodorant with cholorflourocarbon propellent?
You had the choice to buy all of the above a few years ago.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I believe that having the freedom to pull into a gas station and decide for myself whether I want to buy 100% gasoline vs. 90% gasoline and 10% subsidized substandard filler material is something that does make sense.

We are sitting back and letting the government decide what is best for us far too often.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

A fully electric or at least an electric with range extend starts to look better- no need to deal with gas stations selling varying amount of energy for the same price

Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Exclamation Re: E-10 mpg

Originally Posted by reagle
A fully electric or at least an electric with range extend starts to look better- no need to deal with gas stations selling varying amount of energy for the same price
Ah... the real crux the of debate?
Would you like "gas" stations to charge per btu?

Cost per energy unit?
But not all energy units are the same, either.
You can get 1 million btu from wood, coal, oil, geothermal, bioethanol, biodiesel, cow poop. You name it.

Should all these come with the same price tag?

Ethanol is CLEAN. CLEAN for the air. CLEAN for the producers. CLEAN for the internal parts of your engine. It so happens it contains fewer btu per gallon than dirty gasoline. So what? You get fewer miles per gallon. So what? You get fewer miles per tank. So what? Last time I checked, there is NO PLACE in the lower 48 states that is farther than 120 miles from a gas station. And that place is in remote Utah.

Ethanol costs about $1.40 per gallon to make, all inclusive with zero governmental subsidy to the producers. The subsidy goes to the oil companies as incentive for them to sell a competitor's product. Like asking Coke to sell Pepsi in 10% of its vending machines. Big oil has the infrastructure to distribute and dispense at retail. Big oil has virtually 100% of the "vending machines". The farmer co-op has none. So a subsidy was given to Big Oil to make up for the 10% displaced product of theirs.

It does not require subsidy to manufacture ethanol. And subsidies to farmers are down by 80% in the past decade since the proliferation of ethanol.
Now you know.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by SanAntonio Joe
I want to buy 100% gasoline vs. 90% gasoline and 10% subsidized substandard filler material is something that does make sense.
Why are you buying sub-standard low btu gasoline when highway diesel fuel has 11% more energy per gallon?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Not really, but the fact is that E10 costs the same as E0 at the gas stations here, but results in 40mpg in my car vs 50mpg with E0.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Smile Re: E-10 mpg

Most states/stations realize that E10 has 3% less energy, and charge at least 3% less.

Usually, E10 is 10 cents cheaper when gas is in the $2.50-$3.00 range.

Your MPG should be 3% less on E10.
If it's more than that, it is likely a problem with your car.
( not that your car is "broken" just its particular ECU can't run properly )

Ford/GM cars tend to do OK on E10 and really, really well on E30.
And yes, you can buy E30 in some states... at a discount too!

Attached Thumbnails E-10 mpg-105_1105.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1

Cost per energy unit?
But not all energy units are the same, either.
You can get 1 million btu from wood, coal, oil, geothermal, bioethanol, biodiesel, cow poop. You name it.

Should all these come with the same price tag?

Ethanol is CLEAN. CLEAN for the air. CLEAN for the producers. CLEAN for the internal parts of your engine. It so happens it contains fewer btu per gallon than dirty gasoline. So what? You get fewer miles per gallon. So what? You get fewer miles per tank. So what? Last time I checked, there is NO PLACE in the lower 48 states that is farther than 120 miles from a gas station. And that place is in remote Utah.

Ethanol costs about $1.40 per gallon to make, all inclusive with zero governmental subsidy to the producers. The subsidy goes to the oil companies as incentive for them to sell a competitor's product. Like asking Coke to sell Pepsi in 10% of its vending machines. Big oil has the infrastructure to distribute and dispense at retail. Big oil has virtually 100% of the "vending machines". The farmer co-op has none. So a subsidy was given to Big Oil to make up for the 10% displaced product of theirs.

It does not require subsidy to manufacture ethanol. And subsidies to farmers are down by 80% in the past decade since the proliferation of ethanol.
Now you know.
The real issue is really the detrimental affects of E-10 on some engines over time. Boat and marina type vehicle engines can't use it - thats why they ALL have E0 available.

The other deal is this - the government has business in an area of consumer protection, like asbestos and lead, but not this one. E-10 is a problem - not a solution. I would happily pay more for E0.