HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Finally breaking down and buying snow tires...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Finally breaking down and buying snow tires...

This is my second winter on the OEM Dunlops and the traction is terrible. It didn't seem it was this bad last year. It's been hard to accelerate from a dead stop and stopping. Did some searching for winter tire and rim packages online. The best deal I found was on Tirerack.com. It was for four Firestone snow tires and rims. It came out to be like $605.00 for everything shipped. Just wondering if anyone knows if I can find a cheaper package? Or do you know of any site that just sells 15 inch steel rims for cheap? Planning on doing this after I come back from vacation.

thanks,
Paul

Old 12-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Finally breaking down and buying snow tires...

Sounds like a good deal. Remember, you aren't wearing your other tires when you have your snow tires on. You aren't really spending much more on tires than you otherwise would. You do have to pay for the rims, but it is well worth it. You can't put a price on safety.

You won't have to buy any more tires for quite awhile.

Cheers, nf

Old 12-26-2008, 11:39 PM

We have close to 60,000km's on our '06 Civic hybrid with Bridgstone Insignia. In the lower mainland of BC, Canada we've got about 18" of snow in the last couple of weeks. Totally out of character for our weather, caught people off-guard. Couple this with Quebec Legislation making Winter tires mandatory in that province and snow tires are near impossible to find here, and you cannot not cherry pick brands.

Last Saturday we picked up black steel OEM Civic DX 15" rims from the Honda Dealership, for $73Can each. Then Sunday, with all the tire dealers closed, I went a little nuts on the net, trying to come up with some ideas.

What I tentatively settled on, after a lot of researching, and considering the near complete absence of dedicated snow tires, was the Nokian WRG2. There are sold near-exclusively in our area by one tire dealer: Kal Tire. They are billed as "All Weather" tires: an all-season with the Snowflake-and-Mountain symbol which in Canada symbols tires rated for severe winter service. Since they're not described as winter tires, they're much easier to come by right now. And with our mix of conditions, a good choice in any event.

Their tread is assymtetrical (but not directional). The outer edge looks like an all-season, but as you progress across to the inner edge the tread get's increasingly blocky. It has cross sipes, though not as much as a full blown winter tire. They're made in Finland, and have a lot of innovative technologies going for them. Here's a blurb:

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG2

Monday morning right at their opening time, I was on the phone to our nearest Kal Tire: they had 4 in our size, and would hold them for the morning, if I could get down there. The price was $143CAN, plus about $25 for balance and valve.

Well, I almost didn't make it. We'd received 8"-10" fresh snow over the weekend, and Monday morning was a disaster, particularly the side streets. Just getting out of our driveway I almost threw in the towel. I got there, but it was not a lot of fun. And upon arrival, found their parking lot had not been plowed and they were having a mini-disaster of their own, LOL.

Anyway, long story short, it was well worth it. You still need to exercise extreme caution, take it easy. And the lousy ground clearance of the Civic means you have to stay clear of the really deep stuff. But the last few days, before, during and after Christmas they have really earned their keep.

Our "Summer" Bridgestone Insignia's are now sitting, nice and clean, in our garage. Just looking at their 4~5mm remaining tread, running parallel, smooth and straight with barely any cross-blocking, makes me feel very good about what's on the car right now.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-26-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: added a few sentences
Old 12-27-2008, 03:59 PM

I purchased my 2006 HCH2 22 Dec. of 06. I drove home [540K] with the Dunlaps in very servere winter conditions[ Not fun tires when ice & snow] I installed Cooper Tiger claws on a set of pie plates I had purchased from a member that did not like them, and the tires work well on ice and snow. If you have ice and snow , play it safe and purchase good winter tread!Have a safe winter, H

Old 12-27-2008, 06:11 PM

One thing, I wish the car had a couple of inches more ground clearance. Even with good rubber we were too close to stuck, in an innocent looking side street in downtown Vancouver, today. It looks like they got a little more than we did in the suburbs. I think the hybrid model ground clearance is even less than a regular Civic, due to the plastic shield on the underside.

I've read up a bit: apparently in some parts of south America (Brazil and others) Honda sells the Civic with a little more ground clearance.

My 2 cents: I think Honda should make this increased clearance the norm, and also put in block heaters at the factory.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:19 PM

Hi mendel;
I'm in Victoria and have had the shield dragging in the snow as well, but I preferr the low stance. But you do have to watch it when the plows are behind!
Cheers ,H

Old 12-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Hi Harold,

A regular civic (same generation, so likely near to identical ground clearance except no plastic shield) went up the same street, slowly, but with no major issues. When pulling out of our parking spot (which some kind soul had shovelled), we decided first to continue up the street, hopefully to a plowed main street ahead (it is near impossible to turn around).

We got about 1/2 block, then started losing traction and drifting towards a parked truck. We backed up the way we'd came, and luckily managed to get turned around in someone's shovelled driveway.

Anyway, I'd just like to say thanks to the people doing the digging out. This weather brings out the good samaritans

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-28-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: clarification re "regular civic"
Old 01-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peking
This is my second winter on the OEM Dunlops and the traction is terrible. It didn't seem it was this bad last year. It's been hard to accelerate from a dead stop and stopping.
I'm in my second Winter too with the OEM Dunlops but I haven't noticed any difference in traction quality.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 AM

Looking at our OEM Bridgestone Insignia's, they have a number of sipes that only go partway through the tread, and have more-or-less vanished at 60,000km. Couple this with overall diminishing tread depth and aging rubber: OEM's near their limits have to be worse than when they were new, and they were iffy then. ;0

As noflash said, the price hit of snow tires is not as bad as it seems: you are reducing the wear on your summer tires. This assumes you're keeping your car for the next few years.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you've had your tires for five years, it's time for new ones, regardless of mileage. Tires "age", becoming less pliable and more crack prone. Like people I guess

Hmm: it's snowing out there again (Greater Vancouver area, BC, Canada). We've got over a foot on ground, and overnight a couple more inches, and still coming down.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 01-03-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added a bit, continuity
Old 01-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinner
I'm in my second Winter too with the OEM Dunlops but I haven't noticed any difference in traction quality.
I've put 35K on them. Did a lot of driving in 2008 with the Civic b/c of the high gas prices. Just wondering how many miles you have on yours? The Dunlops still look pretty good and would be fine for anything but winter driving.

Peace,
Paul

Quick Reply: Finally breaking down and buying snow tires...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands