HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

First MPG report on '09 Civic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow First MPG report on '09 Civic Hybrid

Sure, everyone has been reading about MPG reports on the 8th generation Civic for several years now. But now, I have my own account. I took my car with all of 88 miles on it from San Diego to Palm Springs and back this weekend. I got (according to computer) 58.2 MPG on the way there (no A/C, 65 MPH) and 53.0 (AC, 65 MPG) on the way home. The car is FAR better – more solid, smoother, quieter, more comfortable – than I had anticipated. Getting great fuel economy was much easier than I ever found with my Insight I, Camry Hybrid, or smart. Sorry to add a thread with just a fuel economy rehash, but for me, it's been a great day.

Edit: A subsequent 20-mile city/freeway trip this afternoon netted me 51.7... I couldn't be happier. I've read that the HCH motor doesn't really show its best economy for about 5K miles.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 04-12-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Default Re: First MPG report on '09 Civic Hybrid

Steve,
Sounds good. I got 45 and 48 mpg on my first two tanks in my '09 HCH. I'm on vac in Myrtle Beach. I got 65 mpg on a 9.0 mile trip from MB to North MB. It's a lot warmer here than home. We were going about 60 mph on the way down using CC. One of the things I've noticed is how well I can hypermile at slow speeds in the HCH. It's not seen as a strength of the car. Good luck with your new ride.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Arrow Re: First MPG report on '09 Civic Hybrid

Originally Posted by Donald
Steve,
One of the things I've noticed is how well I can hypermile at slow speeds in the HCH. It's not seen as a strength of the car. Good luck with your new ride.
Thanks for the info, Donald. I didn't let myself drive the Civic until I sold my other (former) car (this weekend).

You are right, I believe, about the slow-speed efficiency – coming back into town yesterday I had a three-mile flat stretch where I cruised at 39 MPG, and the needle was pegged at 100 MPG nearly all the way. But when I get near my house there's a steep 2-mile incline that ruins everything!!!

What are the MPG sweet-spots that you've found?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Hi Steve:
And then there is the SHAM mod. for criuse 70+ mpg in this mod..A scan gauge is required! Check out Msantos post on cleanmpg.com . He explains all about the HCH2. Good read? Hope you did OK with the sale of your smart! And enjoy your HCH2. H

Old 04-13-2009, 11:01 AM

I'm a purist... no Scan Gauge for me! (Kinda like using a dictionary to play Scrabble.) Yes, I've read the 'msantos' post and a few similar, but will re-read as I get familiar with its operation. Thanks for the reminder!

I did okay with the smart... $12,500. MTV wanted to buy it to destroy for a show, but a nice woman came along and saved it from the crusher.

Thanks again, Harold!