HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Front/rear red 'H' emblems – ¡BLING!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Front/rear red 'H' emblems – lots of bling-for-the-buck!

This mod was much easier than I had expected, and cost under $100. And yes, the '06-'08 emblem DOES fit perfectly on the redesigned '09 sedan grill. I've tried to reduce everything to the easiest, safest, most accurate, and fastest way to do this mod, including the doubts you might have if you're unfamiliar with this topic...

Simplified instructions, front emblem:

1. Remove front emblem.
The original front logo emblem has NO adhesive backing. You can pry it off with just your hands. Mine came off 100% intact, minus the white retaining clips that fell behind the grill. Loosen the emblem by grasping the edge of the emblem – alternating top, bottom, top, bottom... until it is loose enough to grasp near the two retaining pins. Working close to the pins with an even pressure will not bend the old emblem and will not risk scratching your grill. Have patience – this will take you all of two minutes if you go slowly! Pull with steady pressure from the closest point to the pins, and it should pop right off without ANY damage to the emblem. No need for screwdrivers, and no need to break the emblem. Mine even has its posts intact by my being gentle and not pulling excessively from any point other than where the pins are located.

2. Clean the grill.
Use Goof-Off, or any good cleaner.

3. Remove the mounting pins from the new emblem.
You do NOT need a knife to remove the mounting pins from the new front emblem. The following method will give you a cleaner result: Just lay the emblem face-down on a towel to protect its surface. Then put slight gentle pressure on each pin from side-to-side, not trying to break off either pin just yet. Rotate 90 degrees and gently add side-to-side pressure to each pin again. Rotate and repeat several times until each pin easily pops off below the surface without damaging the adhesive backing. I tried the knife method on another identical emblem, and the no-knife method is easier, just as quick, gives a cleaner finished result, and is safer.

4. Mount the new front emblem.
It's super-simple to find the right alignment with no tape or marking guide necessary for the front emblem. As long as you don't press the new emblem firmly onto the grill surface, you can re-position it to get the best alignment. Then just push on the edges so that you don't damage the emblem.

Simplified instructions, rear emblem:

1. Detach rear emblem adhesive mounting.
The rear logo has thin adhesive mounting at the top and bottom edges of the emblem, in addition to having two pins at the center. Use dental floss or fishing line – it'll take you 5 seconds. I triple-folded a yard-long piece of floss to keep it from snapping.

2. Create a guide for new emblem placement.
You must do this step BEFORE the next step. With the original emblem still in place, use blue painter's tape or masking tape to outline the entire emblem position on the trunk lid. You will use this to align the new emblem once you remove the old emblem in the next step.

3. Remove rear emblem.
Forget about removing your trunk lining – it's not necessary to even open your trunk. Just gently pull on the emblem from the points nearest to the pins, and it will come off undamaged with the pins intact. Mine came off with one white clip retained in the trunk hole, and the other clip still attached to its emblem pin. Don't use a knife or screwdriver to pry the emblem at any time, since this could scratch your paint – gentle pressure will be enough since the clips have very small plastic retainers. No matter how the clips come off for you, put them both back into their original positions in their trunk holes, and make sure they lay flat. This will keep you from needing to seal the holes otherwise. No need for double-stick tape or other filler. With the old clips returned to their original position in the holes, the new emblem will fit 100% flush and adhere perfectly.

4. Clean trunk lid surface.
Clean off the residue on the trunk from the adhesive of the old emblem using your fingerTIPS to gently rub, followed by Goof-Off or another solvent. Do NOT use your fingernails since they could easily scratch your paint. Again, patience!

5. Remove the mounting pins from the new emblem.
Remove the pins of the rear emblem as you did with the front emblem.

6. Mount the new rear emblem.
Using the tape from Step 2 as your guide, peel and lightly tack the new rear emblem in place. Once satisfied with the position, press firmly.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 01-05-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Default Re: Front/rear red 'H' emblems – ¡BLING!

Bling? Really?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Arrow Re: Front/rear red 'H' emblems – ¡BLING!

Originally Posted by noflash
Bling? Really?
Or not. Your opinion may vary.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Energy Independence

Probably not for me, either, but it DOES look pretty good.
And, excellent instructions! Well done.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

It serves no useful purpose, but at least it doesn't scream "I'm a drifter because I watched 'The Fast and the Furious'." On a scale from one to rice, I give it a resounding malt barley

Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Arrow Re: Front/rear red 'H' emblems – ¡BLING!

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
It serves no useful purpose, but at least it doesn't scream "I'm a drifter because I watched 'The Fast and the Furious'." On a scale from one to rice, I give it a resounding malt barley
The emblems are much more subtle than shown in the photos... I used the sun to emphasize the red color. In normal lighting, the emblem complements the gray and chrome, with no rice effect. Well, maybe brown rice.