HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Fuel tank warranty extension

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Fuel tank warranty extension

I received a notice from Honda the other day about increasing the warranty on the fuel tank (cracking/leak) of my HCHII to 10years and/or 120k miles....Has anyone else received this....

This seems to me that it should be a recall....I will hit the mileage way before the 10 year mark....I currently have 90k and am only 37 months old.

I have to wait till I smell fuel or see a drip....I do not think so

What do you all think about this

Brian

Old 12-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel tank warranty extension

I don't like the sound of that either. I haven't received a notice to date. H

Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hchiiluv
I received a notice from Honda the other day about increasing the warranty on the fuel tank (cracking/leak) of my HCHII to 10years and/or 120k miles....Has anyone else received this....

This seems to me that it should be a recall....I will hit the mileage way before the 10 year mark....I currently have 90k and am only 37 months old.

I have to wait till I smell fuel or see a drip....I do not think so

What do you all think about this

Brian
I've not received anything like this either. 2008 HCH II.

I never received the TSB for the rear-camper arm or IMA update either; my guess is Honda has the wrong address, and I have not figured out how to get it updated. My AHM account does not seem to have a place to update my residential address. Does anyone know how I can take care of this? (I do not have a rapport with my local Honda dealer ... for reasons I won't get into here).

Old 12-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I received a notice 2 days ago for my 2006 with almost 100K. I think I may have to inspect mine. if it looks bad I will get it replaced.. no reason to wait for gasoline to be leaking!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I got one, pretty disgusted, this is the second plastic part that they "extended" the warranty on rather than recall...guess it lets them exclude lots of you guys with high mileage....pretty chicken S*** if you ask me, apparently that is what Honda has turned into.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Received one here too. I did have a small evap leak CEL over the summer where we had record heat but that was also when I found out my 12v was about to quit. Replaced the 12v (which reset the CEL in the process) and it has not come back on but now one has to wonder.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't like the sound of that either. I haven't received a notice to date. H
I agree and I have not received any notice either......

I got one, pretty disgusted, this is the second plastic part that they "extended" the warranty on rather than recall...guess it lets them exclude lots of you guys with high mileage....pretty chicken S*** if you ask me, apparently that is what Honda has turned into.
At least at the corporate level, it now has the feeling of a big three company, say, circa 1978.....

Old 01-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

I had the fuel tank leak just a couple months ago on my 2008 HCH. I drove the car to work on a Friday and noticed nothing that morning. Early Saturday morning my wife went into the kitchen to make coffee and told me that she smelled gas. I also have my Corvette and a gas generator in the same garage. Initially I thought it was the generator leaking that caused the smell. Process of elimination by sniff test led me to the left rear wheel of the Honda. I put it in the other garage on ramps and found the leak where the fuel filler neck joins the gas tank.

On Monday I took it to the local Honda dealer and got a call later that day that the entire fuel tank would have to be replaced and they were back ordered nation-wide. It would be at least three weeks to get one in. I bought the car used in Jan 2011 with 16K miles and the 3 year warranty ran out in May 2011. I was looking at $600 for the replacement. I told them to keep the car on their lot as I would rather have it blow up there than in my garage. The service advisor worked it out with Honda America to cover it under warranty (still only had 25K miles at that point) with a $100 deductible.

While I was waiting, I posted the problem on NHTSA's webiste and had been emailing back and forth with an engineer from DOT.GOV who seemed very interested in the situation.

Just over 3 weeks later the service advisor called me to let me know it was ready to pick up, but that Honda had just issued the extended warranty that morning and I owed nothing.

Even though there was a strong gas smell in my garage, there was no gas puddling on the floor, but the bottom of the tank had a large wet spot on it. I took pictures that I can post if anyone would like to see them.

AL

Old 01-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I took pictures that I can post if anyone would like to see them.
Please do, thanks.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

The first pic shows where the leak occurs at the joint of the filler neck and the tank. Even though it looks like there is a seal/o-ring at the joint, the entire tank and filler neck are one unit and everything has to be replaced. There is no repair.

The second pic shows how wet the bottom of the tank got from the leak.

AL

Attached Thumbnails Fuel tank warranty extension-pic_1.jpg   Fuel tank warranty extension-pic_2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fuel tank warranty extension

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands