HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Get in a wreck, call Hazmat first.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Get in a wreck, call Hazmat first.

I thought this was interesting. According to some info I received, in CA if you get into a freeway wreck in your hybrid the CHP won't even go near it until Hazmat is contacted first and they arrive. Even if you're barely hanging on, Hazmat must arrive first. Kinda scary.

FYI and passing it along. Not sure if it has been discussed previously?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Get in a wreck, call Hazmat first.

Sounds like FUD to me, what is your source? maybe urbanlegends.com?

Old 12-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Some guy who's buddy works for the CHP. Of course info like this isn't exactly going to be broadcasted around. I don't doubt it though but it's not confirmed 100%.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Yeah, my son's friend's buddy's wife's 1st cousins father's brothers son said it was true! He said he saw it on the Internet!

Old 12-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

As you know, some hybrids look similar to a normal car, for example the Civic Hybrid, Mariner Hybrid, Escape Hybrid, etc. If it was in a wreck and damaged to the point where the "Hybrid" badge was no longer visible, it might be difficult to tell that it's a hybrid. I'd hate to be the person who cuts through a 168 volt electrical cable with the Jaws of Life.

I believe that in the event of a crash the high-voltage lines are disconnected, so the rumor that emergency crews could be harmed by the car might just be more anti-hybrid FUD.

Last edited by pagemap; 12-08-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

That brings up a good point that has been addressed for quite a while. There are federal DOT rules about identifying cables that have high voltage. This is why all of the high-voltage cables & component connectors in the Civic and every other hybrid or electric for that matter have bright orange insulation. This is to warn a first responder that may not be familiar with the car that there is a potential danger.

If you are interested in keeping a copy in your glovebox, You can also download the Hybrid First Responders manual from Honda HERE.

As an aside, but along the same lines, all airbag component connectors, and cabling is yellow.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In the handbook that EMTs get about hyrbids, nothing is said about calling hazmat. It just says how to identify a hybrid, where the high voltage is and how to avoid it. I think that is complete bogus. I've seen a prius totaled on the freeway, with plenty of emergency vehicles. None of them were from Hazmat.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:32 PM

I've been a fire medic for almost 4 yrs now. So far, all the training I've ever been through has never mandated a hazmat box for incidents involving hybrids. We are warned that if a battery is so heavily damaged that it is leaking electrolyte fluid, that may be a reason to call for special resources but the need for such equipment and staff would be rare at best. Most full-time departments have a number of staff trained to hazmat awareness and hazmat technician levels and most engines, trucks and squads that are responsible for extrication of entrapped patients are equipped to handle hazmat situations on at least a minimal level. Toyota and Honda have done a good job of providing training and educational resources to responders. The firefighter/paramedics and paramedics I work with are comfortable responding to and managing an incident involving a hybrid. Manufacturers are wise in the placement of high and low voltage cables and I've yet to see one placed in an area that could cause a problem with normal use of hydraulic rescue tools (unfortunately this is not the case with side curtain airbags as well). In fairness to CHP, they do not carry bunker gear or other protective equipment that would allow them to safely enter any significantly damaged vehicle regardless of the propulsion system.
Some companies have developed specially insulated spreaders ("jaws") designed for use on hybrids even though such equipment is really unnecessary.
At any rate, rest assured that rescuers will size up your vehicle for hazards such as leaking fuel, exposed high voltage cables, and so forth before placing their patients or themselves at further risk during extrication but you'll not be left "high and dry" when it matters most.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:52 AM

This could have been sparked with the entry of Hybrids and electrics when they first appeared on the market some 10+ years ago. Because of the high media coverage and mass marketing campaigns auto companies use today, it will be hard press for emergency workers not knowing what a EV or HYB car is or looks like.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Orient Express
That brings up a good point that has been addressed for quite a while. There are federal DOT rules about identifying cables that have high voltage. This is why all of the high-voltage cables & component connectors in the Civic and every other hybrid or electric for that matter have bright orange insulation. This is to warn a first responder that may not be familiar with the car that there is a potential danger.

If you are interested in keeping a copy in your glovebox, You can also download the Hybrid First Responders manual from Honda HERE.

As an aside, but along the same lines, all airbag component connectors, and cabling is yellow.
Thanks for the link re: updated 2006 HCH info, I was looking for it.

Quick Reply: Get in a wreck, call Hazmat first.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands