A brand of deoderant
9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Glide vs. Assist vs. Charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Glide vs. Assist vs. Charge

I thought "Glide" was when the valves closed not using gas period, whether you where on the pedal for a little battery power or just holding it in the middle so not to use regen and glide longer? who know but it does wonders for the MPG

Old 08-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
I am looking forward to hearing how to glide - maybe I will try it or maybe I am already doing it....

is it:
- putting trans in N with ICE on?
- balancing regen/assist to ~zero net - with FE pegged at 100+?
- trying to get a few bars of assist - with FE pegged at 100+?
- something else?

I have a mainly flat commute and wont go much less than 55-60 (speed limits 55,65) and will use CC. I get about 64mpg on this commute but may use things like gliding if they really help much. I suppose if I reduced my max speed to 48 or 30-40 the I might push 70mpg, but for me thats too slow.
What Doug D said.

I am still not sure when it is good to pulse and glide, or keep constant speed...I am feeling that anything about 45 its not good to pulse and glide unless the terrain supports it of course.

Which brings up another thing I'm trying to get a handle on, which is to glide down the large hill (infinite mpg) then a very slow ascent up the next large hill (low mpg...) or speed down the large hill (good mpg) then average speed up next hill (ok mpg). It will obvoiusly depend on the scenerio...

Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
hich brings up another thing I'm trying to get a handle on, which is to glide down the large hill (infinite mpg) then a very slow ascent up the next large hill (low mpg...) or speed down the large hill (good mpg) then average speed up next hill (ok mpg). It will obvoiusly depend on the scenerio...
Let's say the downhill is 1 mile long and the next uphill is also 1 mile. If you glide down the first mile at 0gpm and then get 25mpg on the climb, you are getting 50mpg for the 2 miles. If you "speed" on the downhill and get 50mpg but maintain 35mpg on the climb, that would average to 42.5mpg.

It is all going to depend on how high you can keep the mpg in the second scenario. If you are able to keep it at 75mpg on the downhill and 40mpg on the climb, that would net a 55mpg average. However, I don't know too many hills I can climb at 40mpg.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by kristian
Let's say the downhill is 1 mile long and the next uphill is also 1 mile. If you glide down the first mile at 0gpm and then get 25mpg on the climb, you are getting 50mpg for the 2 miles. If you "speed" on the downhill and get 50mpg but maintain 35mpg on the climb, that would average to 42.5mpg.

It is all going to depend on how high you can keep the mpg in the second scenario. If you are able to keep it at 75mpg on the downhill and 40mpg on the climb, that would net a 55mpg average. However, I don't know too many hills I can climb at 40mpg.

Good questions - my thoughts -

On long downslope, I certainly will try to just get into (EV glide?) pegged 100mpg FE but will press the accellerator enough to cancel out most/all of the regen bars. This tends to build a little speed.

Going back up hill, I will try to minimize/limit the assist to say 2 bars and try to keep the FE above 40-50mpg. This usually involves bleeding off speed with less pedal pressure and/or dropping my CC speed 2-3mph. If the uphill is long, then eventually you have to pay to climb with fuel and IMA assist...

Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 PM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by DougD
It's your pegged FE, no charge/no assist state, Spartybrutus, and one way of getting there is feathering the throttle -- if you lift out to regen, and then ever-so-slightly press back down to eliminate regen but not hit assist, while keeping the iMPG pegged at 100, that's the sweet spot: no regen drag, no discharge, 100mpg+ FE.

cheers --
doug
ok doke - thanks - I shall name that GLIDING in my book

May your trips all be downhill from here.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
If you "speed" on the downhill and get 50mpg but maintain 35mpg on the climb, that would average to 42.5mpg.
This is a little bit off topic here, but you have to be careful when taking fuel economy from segments and calculating overall fuel economy.

1 mile at 50 mpg means that 0.02 gallons of gas were consumed. (1 mile/50 mpg = 0.02 gallons) 1 mile at 35 mpg means that 0.0286 gallons of gas were consumed. (1 mile/35 mpg = 0.0286 gallons) The total is now 2 miles and 0.0486 gallons of gas consumed. The average fuel economy is 41.15 mpg.

The further apart your fuel economies and distances are, the bigger the impact can be. For example, 1 mile at 1 mpg and 1 mile at 99 mpg averages to 1.98 mpg (not 50 mpg).

Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 AM
HypoFueler

Yep - thats why the Canadians and their crazy metric L/100km can do this in their head - they just add em up and lower is better