HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Looks like these tires have just been released by Goodyear. My local tire place can order them now for $109 (CDN) installed and balanced.

Has anyone read anything about these tires? I am thinking about trying these out.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/News...-Max-tire.aspx

"February 03, 2009
Goodyear introduces Assurance Fuel Max tire

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. introduced its Assurance Fuel Max all-season tire at its 2009 Dealer Meeting in Washington, D.C., earlier this week.
Compared to the original Assurance tire, Assurance Fuel Max provides 27% less rolling resistance.
"In response to today's economic environment and fluctuating gas prices, drivers everywhere are trying to use less gas. It's all part of a larger consumer trend toward spending money more wisely," says Joey Viselli, Goodyear brand director. "With the new Assurance Fuel Max, Goodyear is offering a fuel-efficient solution, but with great wet and dry traction."
Assurance Fuel Max is engineered with the following features:
* a "Wet Tread Zone" with dual AquaChannel grooves that help evacuate water.
* zig-zagging "micro grooves" and center tread notches for grip in rain or light snow.
* a "Dry Zone" that, with the help of strong shoulder blocks, is designed to enhance handling and grip on dry pavement.
Several sizes of the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max are shipping now. By April, all 27 sizes, which will cover about 80% of the auto tire segment, will be available for models such as the Pontiac Grand Prix and Chevrolet Impala, minivans such as the Chrysler Town & Country, and hybrids such as the Toyota Prius and Chevrolet Malibu.
For more information on Goodyear's products, visit www.goodyeartires.com."

Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Basically, these are my options, and I have to make a decision by tomorrow, so really, any advice would be really appreciated:

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S - $158 CDN per tire, installed and balanced
Bridgestone Insignia SE200 (my OEMs, which ran down real quick) - $113 CDN each
Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max - $109 CDN each, plus 10% rebate

Old 03-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I love my Michelins Exaltos. After they got broken in, my mileage went up about 10%. They are quiet, have good traction, and a 45k tread life warranty. Not the cheapest tire, but certainly one of the best.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Try them Brian and keep us posted. The Goodyear that is! Hal

Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast

Well, looks like I am gonna be the guinea pig. Getting them installed tomorrow afternoon.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Energy Independence

I, too, have the Michelin Exalto A/S.
They ARE great tires. Traction is tremendous. But, my MPG did not go up. In fact, it went down slightly.
Keep in mind that Orient Express has the 16" version (on 16" Civic EX rims, I believe), and may be comparing his 16" Michelin Exalto A/S tires to the factory standard tires for the Civic EX. While his MPG experience IS useful, it is not the same as comparing MPG experience differences between the 15" Dunlop hybrid tires with the 15" Michelin Exalto tires. Like I said, my experience is that of a MUCH better tire for traction and quietness (comfort, too), but somehwat reduced MPG. Still, I feel this was a good choice, and feel safer riding on these tires. Next time, I may try out another tire, but I'm happy with the Michelins.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Arrow Re: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Originally Posted by gumby
Keep in mind that Orient Express has the 16" version (on 16" Civic EX rims, I believe), and may be comparing his 16" Michelin Exalto A/S tires to the factory standard tires for the Civic EX.
Gary (Orient Express), I just picked up my '09 Civic Hybrid yesterday, and was interested in a set of '09 EX rims (16"). Have not yet been able to find the weight of the EX rims... Hybrid rims are 16# supposedly. Any helpful info to make a decision? What was the MPG loss, if any, due to the switch? What width tires are you running on your EX rims... 205/55? It appears that the bolt pattern and offset are the same for both wheels – true, or false? Thanks!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

The 16" EX rims are the same bolt pattern and offset, so they bolt right on with no issues.

The 16" rim/tire combination is essentially the same height as well. The main difference between the 15" and 16" tire combinations is that the 15" tire has a narrower tread patch, and is a 3-4 pounds/tire heavier.

The 15" & 16" tire characteristics are here. The 16" rim weight is about 2-3 pounds heavier, but overall gas mileage characteristics are a wash.

One positive thing with the 16" tire/rim combination is that the revolutions/mile allow for a more accurate speedometer/odometer reading. After 3 years and 46,000 miles, I see no disadvantage to the 16" tire/rim configurations.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Arrow Re: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Originally Posted by Orient Express
After 3 years and 46,000 miles, I see no disadvantage to the 16" tire/rim configurations.
Thanks! Your information is very helpful.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:14 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

Originally Posted by basher
Well, looks like I am gonna be the guinea pig. Getting them installed tomorrow afternoon.

let us know how they perform. good to see new options coming out.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands