HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

To Grand Teton NP, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and Dinosaur NM with HCHII

Old 06-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast
Post To Grand Teton NP, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and Dinosaur NM with HCHII

Hello everybody!

I am a new member from Mandeville, LA near New Orleans. I have a HCH 2006 that we bought earlier this year. We have driven it for about 8000 miles. Next month, in July, my wife, I, and our 4.5-year-old kid are planning to drive it to Wyoming, Montana, and Utah.

Wanted to take your opinion about taking the HCH on a 7000-mile trip.

We are not planning any off-the-road driving. These are some of the roads we are planning to travel on:

i) Togwotee Trail (US 287 from Rawlins, WY to Moran, WY).
ii) US 191 from Jackson, WY to Yellowstone, NP.
iii) Roads in the Yellowstone area, like US 212/ Bear Tooth Scenic Hwy from Yellowstone to Red Lodge, MT.
iv) US 191 from West Yellowstone, MT to Bozeman, MT.
v) MT Hwy 200 and 83 from Missoula, MT to Bigfork, MT.
vi) Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP.
vii) From St. Mary in Glacier to the Many Glacier region and Babb through US 89.
viii) Blankenship Road and Belton Stage Road from U.S. 2 (near West Glacier, MT) to MT Hwy 486/ North Fork Road. (This is the stretch I am most worried about. I portion of the Blankenship Road near the North Fork bridge is unpaved.)
ix) Lehi, UT (near Salt Lake City) to Vernal, UT through UT Hwy 92, US 189, and US40
x) US 191from Vernal, UT to the Flaming Gorge area through the Red Fleet State Park.
xi) Roads in the Dinosaur National Monument.
xii) From Dinosaur, CO to Rifle, CO through CO Hwy 64 and CO Hwy 13.

Thank you so much. I will look forward to your valued opinion. Have a great summer!

Northshore HCH Owner.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: To Grand Teton NP, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and Dinosaur NM with HCHII

Hey, Guy --

First, distance won't be an issue: lots of folks on this board, including myself, have taken our HCH's on long trips. I'd start with fresh oil and, depending on your mileage, consider starting with fresh CVT fluid, especially if you're not at least 7,000 miles from a change -- the roads you're describing will certainly occasionally tax it. :-)

Second, I would keep the load as light as possible. Climbing performance on those roads will be okay with a light load, but marginal if everything's crammed full and she's really squatting.

Third, I'd watch coolant and brake temperatures. I've found her cooling system to be stable as hell, you shouldn't have any overheating problems as long as you're driving reasonably. Once the battery is *fully* recharged going downhill, you'll get no engine-braking from regen and next to none from 1.3 liters of displacement, so you'll be using the brakes a lot on some of the roads you mention. Just don't ride them -- when possible, use them in short, hard bursts before corners, and then let the car roll through the curve try give them time to cool.

We're used to driving low-and-slow with HCH's anyway -- just take the same attitude on the high-mountain driving, and she'll be fine.

--doug

Old 06-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: To Grand Teton NP, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and Dinosaur NM with HCHII

Enjoy the trip! The car will handle all those roads with ease! Take your time and enjoy the scenery, and you will get good fe. to boot. [50mpg]

Old 06-25-2007, 09:59 AM

On the mountain roads, you MIGHT want to stop and let the car rest a little after sustained climbs. I've noticed a "hot" smell coming from the back seat before when driving in the mountains, and most of my mountain driving has been in the winter (when it's cooler). Also, to further elaborate on Doug's comment, if you are using "S" when going downhill, you will only get engine braking until the battery gets full--after which you will start coasting pretty quickly. This can be a little disconcerting the first time you experience it.

Now a tip on Yellowstone: We did it for the first time last summer and stumbled on to a ranger-led tour on the first day. We learned a TON that you wouldn't be able to learn otherwise. After that, we scheduled our days based on where and when tours were being led (you can find times in the YNP newspaper). On one trail, the ranger even led us off the boardwalk to see a remote mud pit that you are not allowed to visit without a ranger. Those tours turned a great trip into an amazing trip!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Small world!

I'm from Covington, LA and my in-laws live near Jackson, WY.

Congrats on your car and a great looking trip. The Tetons are my fav. Yellowstone is great, but touristy.

The oil change is a must.

I didn't think they sold Hybrids in La...

Have fun!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I LIKE

I am sitting in groveland ca about 35 mins west of yellowstone and the 10 hr drive from san diego was a breeze. I have been to yosemite twice and back now and will average out at about 40 miles to the gallon on this trip in the mountains.... my trip up here was at about 45 mpg.... 80 mph with the a/c cranking... not to shappy... the only rough spot was the road off the 120 called old priest grade.... it was quite vertical but the car didnt hesitate up it I just dont like running the engine that high with only 9k miles on her. should of just taken my time and stayed on 120

but im loving the ride.....

p.s. stopped at the grocery store and turned the engine off theold lady sat in the car with the music on and the a/c cranking..... she had managed to completely empty the battery (no bars) so the drive out up the nice steep hill was interesting to say the least but we made it no problem... we are gonna do the SD to SF drive in about a monith....

how often should you change the CVT oil???

Matt