HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Great Deals on '09 HCH

Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Thumbs up Great Deals on '09 HCH

I recently shopped at several dealers for the new Insight. The dealers offered me a poor trade in on my '06 HCH even though it has several interior & exterior accessories to maintain the appearance & wear. One dealer mentioned he could get me in a new HCH cheaper. I was surprised as a knew the sticker was quite a bit higher. Next I contacted my local dealer. He had just got his one Insight. I took both cars on a 6 mile trip using CC. I recordrd 56 mpg on the Insight, and 58 on the HCH. Not real scientific, but as accurate as I could.

I ended up with a deal on the '09 HCH for $20,700 with my trade at $11,500. I can keep my full nose bra, and all weather mats. My Interest rate through my credit union was 4.2%. My monthly car payment for 5 years went down from $501/mo. to around $415/mo.
I think I got more car for the $$.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Great Deals on '09 HCH

I agree you got more car for the money. I hate to say it, but I think the HCH is superior to the Insight. I think it looks better, has a better back seat (although still small) and you can't beat the price.

I was close to pulling the trigger on the HCH (and was even considering the Civic NG), but I needed more space (and wanted more power). Too bad Honda did not improve on the Accord Hybrid instead of canceling it.

My choice came down to the TCH, FFH, and FEH. I chose the Fusion Hybrid. Delivery should be in 3-4 weeks.

Great job on the new ride!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Congrats, Donald... what color? I had been waiting with excitement for months for the Insight to arrive... checkbook in hand. However, I did the math, as well, and three weeks ago got an '09 Civic Hybrid w/leather and NAV for $22,700. Your price paid was right in the ballpark, assuming you got base equipment. I found one dealer willing to sell one w/leather and NAV for $21,900, but he didn't have my color choice available. Very interesting to read your mileage comparison – I've been asking on other sites for someone to run both cars on the same route. Ideally the Insight would be the lead car and someone would follow directly behind – both drivers trying to maximize mileage. Agreed that the Civic Hybrid is very handsome (especially the '09 grill update) and will still suit many better than the Insight. Besides, it has steering wheel-mounted radio controls, 4-wheel disc brakes... and as of yesterday, mine has a new bass kit system, trunk liner, and exhaust finisher! By the way, Honda's financing can be as low as 2.9 percent depending on years financed – might investigate versus your credit union. Once more, congrats and don't forget to share pics! By the way, do you notice any changes in drivability between your '06 and '09 Civics? Saw you mileage stats... impressive! Hope I can do remotely as well. Never got my '02 Insight lmpg over 55, but I drove it fast.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 04-03-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"Too bad Honda did not improve on the Accord Hybrid instead of canceling it."

I was always a little puzzled that the Accord Hybrid had the 6 cylinder engine. Likely others were too: I'd suspect Honda discontinued it due to low sales.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Energy Independence

Excellent, Donald!
Now you've got me thinking

Old 04-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

Don,

Congrats on a nice car.

I am shopping now for a new HCH, I had a few questions, perhaps someone could help?

1. The many dealers here in NJ seem to have few HCHs, and all tell me that none are ordered for the near term. I understand they are getting boatloads of Insights, and I believe the cars are made in the same factory. Anyone know if Honda will even produce any 09 HCHs going forward? In other words, if I wait, will I never see one this year.

2. I am looking at just taking the special $199 per month lease offer from Honda which terminates on 5/4 (this will mean I need to have 2 cars on lease in May, oh well). I could wait to see if the offer gets extended, but then it looks to me like there won't even be any HCHs to buy during May. Which leads me to my dollar and cents question:

3. The $199 special lease 3 yr lease (with $1999 down) is very attractive. My local dealer only has 'leather' cars left, which is fine, I like the leather, and he would just tack a few bucks onto a great lease deal. But then he asks for a fortune in addition to the $1999 for 'taxes, license, registration, title, and doc fees' -- I have done many leases and purchases, and I know that these fees exist, and that the $199 lease does apparently not include about $500 of NJ sales tax, but what should 'license, registration, title and doc fees' cost? Another $500 ? Anyone do a deal recently and remember? Any dealer out there willing to talk about this? I am willing to pay a reasonable fee, but I need to know what reasonable is. thanks!!!

Mark

Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Think green.

I don't know about the situation in Jersey, but here in CT, it seems to be the opposite. I haven't seen a single new Insight listed, nor have I seen any on the lots as I drive by my local dealerships. On the other hand there seem to be plenty of 2009 HCHs. I checked the website inventories of just 2 of our local Honda dealers, and they have about 18 '09 HCHs listed, but no Insights.
There's no reason to assume that in May there won't be any HCHs to buy.

As far as I know, Honda has no plans to stop producing the HCH. Maybe they are making fewer of them while they try to sell current inventories. The economy is slow and people are buying fewer cars of any kind, so I imagine that sales are moving a lot slower than they anticipated.

I have never taken out a lease, but it sounds like your dealer's $1999 for "taxes, licence, reg, title, doc fees..." is way out of whack. (edit: Well, maybe not WAY out of whack. I forgot that here in CT there has been no sales tax on hybrids. Not sure if that is still in effect. In NJ there is sales tax. But I'd ask for a breakdown of that $1999 figure. It seems kind of high.)
If you are looking for a dealer to ask about this, there's a guy on this forum named CBondHonda who might be able to answer your questions; do a search or click on this thread to find him:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...28/index3.html

There's also a fellow on the clean mpg forums by the name of Kacey Green who is a Honda salesman and would be able to do the same.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 04-04-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was just at my local dealer this morning. I counted 6 HCH's and 3 Insights (one of each trim) and 0 used Hybrids.

Jess

Old 04-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers.

I found some HCHs at local dealers, just not too many. And they all said none more were ordered by their dealerships, which is why I thought they might be difficult to find in May.

As for the $1999, I am sorry, I was not clear: The $1999 down payment is part of the Honda Nationwide special (along with $199 per month). I am fine with that. I am also fine with paying another $30 per month or so for leather.

What I did not understand were the additional fees for taxes, license, registration, documentation, etc. If I am computing right, taxes in NJ should be about $500 and are not included in the lease special. One dealer asked me for $1600 total for the taxes, license, registration, documentation. Another said $1300. When I asked them both for 'backup' for this cost, they both kind of made me feel like I should find another dealer. I was very polite. I am 100% a no-hassle customer, I never missed a payment in my life, at one of the dealers I am even a current customer (I am leasing a car for my son there, but he has the paperwork from 3 yrs ago). Do you have any idea of the registration fees, doc fees, etc which are customary and reasonable?

thanks again,

Mark

Old 04-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Think green.

Hi, Mark.

Well...the tax would depend on how much the car costs of course, so that you can figure out depending on your NJ tax rate. (Are you sure your tax in NJ would only be $500? I thought it was something like 7%, but I'm not sure about that. So let's say for example your car costs $22,000. Multiply that by .07 and you get $1540 in tax alone. Add the other fees onto that...)

I bought my last 2 cars used at the same Honda dealer. They charged a "dealer conveyance fee" of $179 and a "license and title" fee of $155 (actually a little cheaper for that on one of the cars).

(PS: I was googling around the NJ Honda dealers websites after reading your post and found a dealer in Paramus that has 10 HCHs listed, so I don't think you have to worry about them not being available any time soon.)

Last edited by Gairwyn; 04-04-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great Deals on '09 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands