HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Harsh Engagement - Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Harsh Engagement - Tranny?

Greetings all,

I am a proud owner of a 2007 Civic Hybrid with approx 97,000 miles on it and I haven't had much to complain about with the vehicle, except recently...

Somewhere along my journey as an owner I noticed that the car seems to clunk or jump into "gear" when coming from a stop of when accelerating after decelerating. I now notice that when I drive and the auto-stop kicks in, I need to take my foot off of the brake and let the RPMs jump to idle before I apply the gas. If I try to hit the gas right after a stop, I get the clunk or harsh jump into acceleration.

I changed out the CVT fluid - overhaul at about 50k and just again at about 95k. I used Honda CVT fluid. I replaced the plugs and have done all normal maintenance myself, with the occasional oil change here and there when weather was nasty outside. I had the car's computer flashed last summer when there was that big battery software recall. I also recently took the car into the dealer to look into the problem and they replaced an engine mount, claiming that was the reason the car felt like it was "lurching."

I've cruised around the site and have seen a few threads related to harsh engagement and TSB 08-014. I can't seem to get my hands on the actual TSB.

I intend on taking the car back to the dealer to see if they can once again look into it, but I don't want to go unarmed and let them try to jerk me around like some dealers will.

My request: Is there anyone out there who has any advice for me as to where to point them, or what I might do, or if this is indeed normal for the car. I've had it for so long I don't remember if it always did this, but I don't think it did.

OR Does anyone have access to the TSB or related ones so I can bring it/them with me? I would love to be more prepared than not when dealing with the service people.

I thank you in advance for your help,

Dave

Old 05-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Harsh Engagement - Tranny?

Dave,

You are on the right track looking at TSB-08-014 -harsh engagement following auto-stop. From what I've read it relates mainly to the '07 models and involves a software update. Your dealer should be able to check to see if your car has been updated or not.

Good luck and welcome,

Roger

Old 05-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Your dealer should WANT to install all the software updates, there have been several. Some think they cause more problems then they are worth, I can only speak for myself, but with the excption of the one before the recall update, they have all helpd my car behave better....there was one between the one you are talking about and the recall one that really messed up the battery management. but, people are divided on this about 50/50 I guess you have to decide for yourself what is best.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

The owners' manual says to drain and fill the fluid - drive the car a few miles, then drain and fill again - a total of 3 times before the final fill. Did you do the transmission service this way, or just once?

Old 05-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

I did the drain and fill 2x with driving in between the first time I did the CVT fluid. I also just recently drained and filled it again and I will say that the fluid that came out was pretty clean - not a lot of particulates that I could see (when compared to the first drain).

Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Enthusiast

Someone mentioned earlier to get a software update to fix the problem.

Ever since I got my 2006 HCH, I anticipate pulling out in traffic and allow a second or so - I take the brakes off, wait a second or 2, then press the throttle. Doing this avoids the problem you mention, and the habit of "off brakes for a moment before throttle" has long been learned.

Maybe my car needs the software update also? If I do not pause and press hard on the gas from autostop - the transmission engages harshly and the car lurches a bit.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've had this since the car was new. Honda had two TSBs to fix it, both software udpates. One was 8-14, which kinda fixed it but made the car drive differently, then 9-58 which helped to get rid of that. So your best bet is indeed asking dealer for the updates. Of course they'll probably also want to do 10-34 the "infamous IMA update" while at it.

Last edited by reagle; 05-24-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for naming the TSBs. I'll bring that in with me for my appointment tomorrow.

Cheers!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is there a harsh noise associated with it?
My 04 HCH CVT needed the "start clutch" replaced at 130,000 miles. The start clutch is the main engagement clutch.

Symptoms were shuddering while accelerating from a stop, the harder the acceleration the harder the shudder and harsher the noise.

It started off very slight but steadily grew over time and use until I knew that it would eventually fail and it had to have the issue addressed before something worse happened because of it.

Once the clutch engaged there was no noise what so ever.

My belt also slips but there is no shuddering associated with it. It happens mostly on the freeway at higher speeds and it feels like I'm being towed by a huge invisible bungee cord as it slips then catches, slips then catches. I do my best to stop the slipping when it happens by backing off the gas a bit. To keep it slipping would surely develop excessive heat which can't be good for it.

I've been driving it for about 70,000 miles with the belt like that. Mostly freeway.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 05-27-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran Mechanic

Just to mention when I was shopping for an HCH I ran into one which exibited the same problem you describe. I found that the CVT belt was loose and would skip a tooth or two on every start-up. Needless to say I kept shopping, but I hear the belts can be replaced if they have stretched over time. Just need to find a shop who is willing to do it. Good luck I hope it turns out to be something more simple and easy to fix!