HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Has this happened to anyone elses 06HCH?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Owner
Default Has this happened to anyone elses 06HCH?

I've had a HCH2 since Jan. of 2006. Been getting mid-50s in the summer and low 40s hi-30s in the winter. This summer, I was getting high 30s. Then I got the throttle body cleaned out and it's still in the low 40s in 80 degree weather!

I called the dealership and they said if there's isn't an idiot lite on for the battery, then nothing's wrong with it.

I've taken it in for both recalls and got new tires for it and always get the oil changed on schedule with 0w20.

Has anyone else seen their MPGs go down so much after > 5 yrs.?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Has this happened to anyone elses 06HCH?

My 06 HCH2 is still giving me good #'s. Have you been reading Rossfree's thread. He refurbished his pack and is very happy with the results. Could be your car is having the same problem. It is to bad Honda is not getting the message and helping folks out! H

Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Did you get LRR tires? If not there's alot of your problems right there.

My '06 has recently started recall'ing the battery every day. I think the 70+ days of 100+F did it in (which ties an all time record for my area for this much heat); I got the new software update way before the summer so maybe it might recover with the cooler temps (I have my doubts as last week cooled down to the lower 90's and I was still recall'ing every day).

So far I've been able to maintain my 50mpg status, the recall's are fairly shallow but it is more work. I really hope the battery recovers with the cooler weather coming soon. If it doesn't I'll give it til the end of the battery warranty for the IMA light to show up; after the warranty expires it'll be traded at the next major maintenance or repair.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Hey Moosh:
Make sure your 12V is strong! A poor 12v draws allot trying to keep it in shape. Is the sight eye still showing blue with a red dot? H

Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Owner

I didn't get LRR tires. I can't imagine that tires can account for ~15MPG. 0-1MPG I'll give up for more traction in the winter.

H-what are u talking about sight eye showing blue with a red dot?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 PM

If you look at the top of the battery [if it is a original Honda battery] you will see a round window you look into. You should see a red dot surrounded in blue if your battery is good.Look in your manual if you have it. H

Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Owner

Thanks H! I had to clear off the window to see the red dot with blue around it. I think the software fix just reduces the amount of assist is provided by the hybrid battery. I'm basically getting the same MPGs as a non-hybrid Civic. Woohoo!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Owner

Just made an appt to bring it in tomorrow morning. If they tell me nothing is wrong I'll say, "BULL-BLEEP, I used to get hi 50s in the summer, now I'm getting hi 30s!"

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Hey Moosh:
Make sure your 12V is strong! A poor 12v draws allot trying to keep it in shape. Is the sight eye still showing blue with a red dot? H
Good point. I swap mine for a new one every two years.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Owner

The dealership was more accommodating than I thought. It helps to have MPG stats to back up my claim. They were especially concerned that the battery would drop down to 2 bars after a mile of driving. They tried another software update and we agreed to manually calc the MPG for this tank. If it's still low, he said it's a bad IMA and the 6/60k warrantee will take care of it. We will see!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has this happened to anyone elses 06HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands