HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH class action settlement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default HCH class action settlement?

I just received this email today, very odd, I don't know anything about it, but it looks legit.

>Please click on the attached link for information pertaining to a settlement affecting >original owners and lessees of Honda Civic Hybrids model years 2003-2008.

> www.HCHsettlement.com.

>The referenced Vehicle Identification Number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

>If you are unable to operate the link for any reason, please call 1-800-999-1009.

>Thank you.

>Honda HCH Settlement Administrator

Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH class action settlement?

I got it too and agree that it appears "legit".

However, I have a real problem with class action lawsuits like this and I think this particular lawsuit is groundless. I routinely achieve the mileage ratings Honda claims for the car. Honda's lawyers obviously feel it is cheaper to settle the class action than fight it and have structured the settlement such that the main benefit occurs if you buy a new Honda, so they think it is a lose-win for them.

I'm happy with my 2007 HCH, have no intention of selling it, the $100 cash rebate that would come to me from this settlement is meaningless, and I think the lawsuit is absurd.

I hope other happy HCH owners out there object as well and resist the urge of "free money" from the class action.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah I won't do anything with it. I get the mileage that was claimed, and on the highway I get better by up to 10 mpg in some cases.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

It looks like you can only get the $100 if you are on record with Honda complaining that the car is getting lower than EPA FE. I'm guessing you guys, as happy HCH owners, aren't on record as FE complainers.

I would like to get that instructional DVD they mentioned on how to get better FE. That could be fun (and help a little at resale).

-dan

Old 10-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

Typical class-action solution, give the injured party a modest discount on a new car from the manufacturer ... guess you could call it a "win-win" in some sense.

Yes, the stated complaint is nonsense, HCH probably isn't any further off from EPA numbers than any other car.

My guess is this was another way to get relief for those of us whose IMA systems are going bad and Honda "can't find anything wrong" and doesn't want to spring for new batteries for us. Our car now recals every time it sits for longer than an hour, but still no problem is diagnosed.

Notice you can't use the $1,000 to buy another HCH or Insight. Sounds like Honda wants to get unhappy hybrid owners out of their hybrid products as part of the overall solution.

I'll probably buy a regular Civic (you get till 2011 to claim your discount) when the next gen model comes out. It's a shame, when the hybrid function worked it was fantastic, but clearly Honda lacks the technical expertise to support the cars as they age and this is their way out.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tom, I'm seeing what you are seeing with regards to recal after sitting between use. If you don't mind my asking, what year is your HCH and how many miles do you have on it? Also, have you reported the problem to the dealer and what did they tell you. Lastly, when did you really start to notice the problem?

Thanks.
-dan

Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

It's a 2006 with 58K miles. If you look up posts under name, you can find my story with the multiple software updates, etc. And there are a number of other threads in the same vein from people whose mileage fell way off and started getting constant recals.

Part of me wants to keep the car until 79,999 miles to see if I can beat Honda out of a warranty replacement of the battery ;-)

Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

It looks like the $100 "complainer" deal is for people who don't plan to buy another Honda. If you notice the requirements for this relief are pretty fussy (your contact with AHM has to be in their database, etc.).

Honda probably doesn't expect many people to trot out documentation to prove they registered complaints about their mileage with AHM. Most probably just griped to the dealer and let it go at that.

The date criterion is interesting as well, wonder why they say you have to have opened your case with AHM before 2/09, perhaps that's when the suit was filed and anyone after that time would just be "piling on"?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

I question if it's for real. As I read it you could get $500 or $1000 towards the purchase of a NEW Honda.

Anyhow, wouldn't work in my case - 49 to 56 mpg - roads, weather/depth of snow....

Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Enthusiast

I received the mail version of it yesterday, looks real to me.

Even though my mileage is fine I have a tendency to believe that if someone drove around town and never did anything but run errands with it, the IMA battery would be always discharged and be in forced recharge mode, which of course would negate the assist and constantly use fuel to recharge a battery that would never be charged.

Okay yes the reason why I say this is because there was a time when I made a lot of short trips and spent no time at speeds greater than 45mph, this happened to me, I had times when I averaged 34 mpg (I spent about half a tank of gas at 34mpg), and yes I was disappointed.

Quick Reply: HCH class action settlement?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands