HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH Delema--what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default HCH Delema--what should I do?

I'm 623 miles into the tank and I just lost my last bar of gas on the way in today. I should have about 60 miles before empty and I will drive almost exactly that distance between now and Thursday evening. On Friday morning we are starting a 1,000 mile drive to Minneapolis and I NEED to buy gas on Thursday evening.

SO....should I:

1. Live dangerously and go for a personal record tank, even though there is an obvious risk I will run out, and wait until Thursday evening to buy.

2. Live conservatively, and buy a whopping 1.0 gallon of gas to guarantee I won't be walking. This will lead to an artificially high mile tank.

3. Just fill it up now and top it off again on Thursday, even though that might give me a weird fill.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH Delema--what should I do?

#3 for me! Wouldn't want to mess your car's engine b/c you ran out of gas or walk.

Welcome to the Twin Cities, when you get here. It s/b in the 80's and dry when you get here.

Peace,
Paul

Old 06-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Just fill it. You're going to have to at least three times during your trip anyways

Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I understand your feelings about this. I just had this happen to me and I was trying for a 700 mile tank. My low fuel had come on, my last pip was on the display, I knew that everything said I should be able to get home & back to work with no problem at least one more time, about 50 miles roundtrip. There is no gas station close to where I live and I normally fill up at station next to where I work. So I drove home, knowing I have a 1 gallon gas can full of gas there. I put that into my trunk the next day for the ride to work and took off confident that I had my bases covered. Got to work, filled up at the end of the day and even though the last pip had gone off and back on during my drive into work that morning, I still had almost a gallon left in the tank. So I got my 700 mile tank and didn't have to use my backup can of gas. By the way if you ever decide to do this & park the car for any length of time with a gas can in the trunk, be sure to crack your windows for ventilation.

Any how as for what I would do in your situation. If you are not going for some personal best with the current tank and you are going on a 1000 mile trip soon. I would fill up now and not worry about it on Thursday because one way or the other you are going to have to fill up again over the 1000 miles. No short tank or running out to worry about.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

#1 - We need some excitement to liven up this forum.

Before I filled up my last tankful, I lost my last bar 2 miles before the gas station. The car took 10.4 gallons, meaning I had approx. 2 gallons left. Thats a nice safety net when you're going for a record tank.

Good luck! I hope you get it.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Hybrid Owner

I live in Memphis; the side of the road is an invitation to getting run over or shot. I gas up as soon as the gas light comes on, if not before.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
HypoFueler

if you are shooting for a FE best, fill up now. In the long run, FE matters more than miles/tank, right?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would wait and fill it up Thursday evening so you can calculate your 1000 miles starting straight from a new tank.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nsxrox
#1 - We need some excitement to liven up this forum.

*snip*

Good luck! I hope you get it.

Kristian, this is your best answer so far. Go for it.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

GO KRISTIAN GO!

Quick Reply: HCH Delema--what should I do?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands