HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH-II Battery Deteriorating. Can I Replace it Myself?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default HCH-II Battery Deteriorating. Can I Replace it Myself?

Hello,

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid that I bought used about 6 months ago. It has 102k miles on it. Today when I started it, the IMA and Check Engine Lights stayed on. I took it by O'Reilly's and borrowed their code scanner, and it reported a code of 'P0A7F' and the unit described is as 'Hybrid Battery Pack Deterioration.' I haven't experienced any noticeable problems with the battery, but I'm now assuming that the battery is going bad, and that I will probably have to replace it. Does anyone know if I can do it myself? I have seen used HCH-II batteries on eBay for $400-$500, which is a lot less than buying a new one. Does anyone know how feasible it is for me to replace the old one myself? I can't find anything online about anyone doing this, so I'm thinking it's unlikely.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH-II Battery Deteriorating. Can I Replace it Myself?

Isn't your battery covered by (transferable) 8 year warranty, ie: no cost to you? The only issue, you may need to do battle with Honda. Just for the record: doing your own swap would take an hour or two: the Service Manual outlines the procedure, it is not complicated. But do your homework: how many hours labour would the dealer charge? And again, this is all moot if you're covered by warranty, and I believe you are.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

I always see the warranty terms written as "8 years/80,000," which I assumed means that the car is covered for 8 years OR 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. Mine has over 102,000 miles on it, so I don't think it is covered any longer. Please tell me if I'm wrong about that, because it would be GREAT if I am still covered.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Think green.

If you live in California or one of the other states that follow the California CARB emissions laws, you should be covered for a longer time/mileage interval like Mendel mentioned. Look it up online, or if you have a booklet in your car that explains the warranty, check it out.

If you google "hybrid battery repair" you will find people who can do the job of replacing or refurbishing a hybrid battery as well. One is located in Staten Island, NY and another is in Phoenix, Arizona if I remember correctly.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I always see the warranty terms written as "8 years/80,000," which I assumed means that the car is covered for 8 years OR 80,000 miles, whichever comes first.
woops, my mistake: didn't think about the mileage, and yes it is time OR mileage. Here's an interesting link, these guys are more-or-less half price. Very interesting website too:

http://www.re-involt.com/