HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH II firmware updates?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default HCH II firmware updates?

Quick question on my 06' HCH II, I bought it used so I don't know the service history really, I think I read something about Honda releasing a software/firmware update for these cars but I don't know when it came our or if my car has it (it probably doesn't).

Anyone know? I was just at the dealership to collect some parts and I asked the guy there but he was clueless "cars have software..?? duhhh..." and I didn't have time to wait around to find someone with a clue....

thanks!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II firmware updates?

I have a 2006 HCH2 and nothing has been changed yet. I asked about this last time it was in for re-call and they said there were noon. H

Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

There are differences between the '06 and '07-08 that affect the car's willingness to go into EV-assisted glide mode, AS, and a couple other things, but once you get the hang of paying attention to what your foot is doing, anything the new firmware would do for you automagically, you'll be able to do yourself.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

I got the new firmware for HCHII 2006 yesterday, and noticed another thing: the cruise control goes off cruise much smoother now. Before there was a big jerk when deactivating cruise, as if lifting off the gas suddenly, especially noticable when driving uphill. To the point that I made it a habit to give some gas before deactivating to override the cruise control. The new software eases off the gas very gently.

It's also supposed to reduce the sensitivity to tire sizes, as described here
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...pm-range-8958/

I haven't had the new firmware long enough to be able to tell the difference in EV-glide, AS, etc.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

hi rgx - please update this thread with your findings. When did Honda suggest this upgrade? in the summer or more recently?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM

I've had three updates applied to my car in July, but nothing since. I would really like to see the update that MSantos recently had done which changes the battery calculation/recalibration, but American Honda can't seem to track it down based on the Canadian part numbers. If anyone in the US has had an update recently on their '06, please post about it.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:52 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vincep5
hi rgx - please update this thread with your findings. When did Honda suggest this upgrade? in the summer or more recently?
It was my dealer's response to the gearing/rpm/tire size problem described in the other thread I linked to in previous post. Not sure when Honda released the update. It did solve the problem, and the only other thing I have noticed myself is the improved cruise control. I have not been able to verify any changes in EV-glide and auto-stop behaviour, or anything other for that matter. At the same time, the valve clearances were adjusted for the first time (37000 km), and that was a big improvement. Engine is quieter and might also pull stronger (not sure, just a feeling), but I don't associate it with the software change. I also have a feeling that the PWM noise (high-pitched whining) from the IMA is reduced somewhat, which could be software related, but again, this is speculative. It's hard to tell without having two cars to compare side-by-side.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is valve clearance a recommended maintenance item? Or was it done in response to your complaint to the dealer about engine noise?

Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 AM

Yes valve adjustment is a mait. item at 100'000 Kilometers. H

Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 PM

There's no harm in doing valve clearance sooner, I did mine around 57,000 KM, they were mostly a bit beyond spec, on the loose side. It bothers me that:

1. Honda's recommended interval used to be much shorter.

2. The only caveat by Honda for shorter interval is if the valves are "noisy". I would say tight valves would be quiet as clams, but the more dangerous condition. In my experience I've never encountered tight valves, they're always on the loose side, FWIW.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 01-20-2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: HCH II firmware updates?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands