HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH2 runs smoother when climate control on auto.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default HCH2 runs smoother when climate control on auto.

HCH2 performance is much better when auto climate is used. All systems work much better. When on the norm climate control the auto stop function will restart before releasing the brake, and on many occasions will not auto stop. The car seems confused! Has anyone else notice this? And to top it off, I'm much more comfy H

Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH2 runs smoother when climate control on auto.

Originally Posted by Harold
And to top it off, I'm much more comfy H
It was 105 degrees yesterday and 102 today in Sacramento... I didn't turn on the air! I can't say I was uncomfortable. I had the fan on . I never used the A/C in my other car so it's not a stretch to not use it in this one... but to know I get 3-5 mpg better by not using it is great! The only time I turn it on is when my family is in the car!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 AM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by Harold
When on the norm climate control the auto stop function will restart before releasing the brake, and on many occasions will not auto stop. The car seems confused! Has anyone else notice this?
I have noticed the AS doesn't work at stops when I first start the car, doesn't work even longer if I run the AC or the fan. Never thought to try the auto. I'll try this today leaving work

Old 08-31-2007, 06:01 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Folks;

It is a good idea to have the Climate Control setting on Auto - particularly if you plan on keeping yourselves and the battery comfortable and HEALTHY.

However, when starting your trip make sure you DO NOT force the climate control to make large adjustments in temperatures. In other words, ensure that the temp setting is at its highest value and then gradually decrease it by 1 degree ... each time the blower fan slows down. You'll notice that you'll achieve a comfortable temp at a much higher temp setting than you initially thought you needed.

Conversely, if you set the "ideal temp" from the onset, you'll be forcing the system to work harder and that will dent your fuel economy far more noticeably.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM

I normally have the auto climate control set at 27cel. It feels about 22 cel.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:33 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Indeed.

Many of us often start at 30C (86F) and end up at 26C (78F) which still feels comfortable and barely hits FE.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 AM

I only use auto when I need the AC. I let the car figure out the best compressor useage. I'll have it set anywhere from 78-82. At that temp the air comming out is plenty cold, but the airflow can be inadequate and for a time, I accelerate the fan speed manual. This still leaves it in a "auto-ish" mode.

Otherwise, I always leave the A/C OFF. There is no risk of using the compressors to waste FE.

I notice no lack of "smoothness" in any of these modes.

{the other exception is when my windows are in danger of foggin up, I do use AUTO}

Old 08-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Folks;

It is a good idea to have the Climate Control setting on Auto - particularly if you plan on keeping yourselves and the battery comfortable and HEALTHY.

However, when starting your trip make sure you DO NOT force the climate control to make large adjustments in temperatures. In other words, ensure that the temp setting is at its highest value and then gradually decrease it by 1 degree ... each time the blower fan slows down. You'll notice that you'll achieve a comfortable temp at a much higher temp setting than you initially thought you needed.

Conversely, if you set the "ideal temp" from the onset, you'll be forcing the system to work harder and that will dent your fuel economy far more noticeably.

Cheers;

MSantos
MSantos

You are absolutely right. I have noticed a big difference by starting at 86F and working my way down to 82 or 80. I also I drive about 5 minutes with the windows all the way down to let the interior heat escape.

Anthony