HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCHII Craptastic CVT Maint.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default HCHII Craptastic CVT Maint.

I've been digging around in the Cvt Exploded parts view's.

Look what I found for the Crap Vehicle Transmission.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NSMISSION+CASE

Looks like a transmission pan to me with drain bolt, magnets and gasket. So at min. I would think the pan and magnets would need to be cleaned up here and there. OOOO but it gets better.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ry5=VALVE+BODY

Does #2 and #16 look like a filter and o-ring? They call it a strainer. And it appears to me that it bolts to the bottom of the valve body and maybe housed inside the pan.

Now I'm no where near the smartest **** on this board. But my simple brain say's those parts need serviced. Now if you dig around a bit on this site you will see that the Cvt ( crap vehicle transmission ) Has three clutch's. Start, forward, reverse. I'm sure these take a bloody beating. From what I see in the exploded view's and under the hood,,, they are tiny clutch's to boot!

I'm going to look into this a bit more. BUT my guts telling me Honda went out of there way to hang the meat to there customers. Lets just replace the tranny when the clutch's act up or the Cvt does not scale right. They don't need to know about this very simple automotive principle concerning maint.

We only need to look no farther than the 5AT used in v6's or I4's (Accord, Oddy and such) to know they do not want us to change the filters on them. Most dealer part dept's. don't even know filter are there unless you point it out to them. DUH!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCHII Craptastic CVT Maint.

well said. It really is unbelievable.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Yep, that's why I change my CVT fluid every 15-20K. You're better with the heavy maintenance than I probably am, as I wouldn't ever try to take the CVT apart to change the filters. So far, I've had good results with increased fluid changes (41K so far). The CVT on my Insight seems to be an improvement, but the trannys of these cars were not Honda's high point on engineering ability. On the + side, it's still better than my Ford was.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Talking Re: HCHII Craptastic CVT Maint.

Originally Posted by psyshack
Look what I found for the Crap Vehicle Transmission.
What a fitting nickname...

Old 05-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I'm not exactly sure that I follow your point with this post. Can you be a little bit more specific as to what you are trying to say?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 PM

So far, my tranny's been reliable with above average maintenance, and I can't actually complain about it. Every time I see a diagram of it's inner workings, however, I'm skeptical as to just how long it will stay that way.

After some of the HCH I CVT issues, I'm wondering when mine will become craptastic.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 PM

Here is were you will find the external filter. It appears to be the same one used on the I4, 5AT Accords and such. #19

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...E-RESERVE+TANK

I will be replacing that filter every 20k miles.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 PM

Good find, I never would have looked in the ATF cooler line.

Now a) how much of a PITA is it to reach and change (I've not looked yet)
and b) how often must it be changed?

Can we use this line to do a complete drain & fill of the CVT fluid without power flushing?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:41 PM

NEVER power flush a Honda AT of any kind! Just drain and fill.

I have not located it yet on the car. Will look into it when I get the filter next week.

The car has a tad over 3k miles on it right now. So it is more than due for it's first oil change and put M1 oil and filter in it. At the same time I will do the first drain, fill and filter on the CVT... <<<< Remember what that means.

At that point it will go on it's 10k mile oci with a 20k mile tfci.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: HCHII Craptastic CVT Maint.

Originally Posted by psyshack
The car has a tad over 3k miles on it right now. So it is more than due for it's first oil change and put M1 oil and filter in it.
Somewhere I read that Honda specifically recommends NOT to do a first oil change before its first scheduled interval. I believe that their factory oil contains additives that Honda claims to benefit the engine during this period. No doubt the topic was discussed here ad nauseam 3+ years ago, so I should probably just admit to my ignorance on the matter and keep quiet.

Quick Reply: HCHII Craptastic CVT Maint.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands