HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCHII-Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default HCHII-Power Steering Problem

I have a 2006 HCHII with 46,000 miles on it and I have started having problems with my power steering. When I back out of the garage in the morning, occasionally the power steering does not seem to be 'engaged'. I have to turn off the engine and then re-start it for the power steering to be operating. The frequency of this occurring seems to be increasing, and it even happened to me while I was on the road...I have contacted my Honda dealer and they indicated that fixing the problem will cost $700, although they are trying to get some help from Honda USA. Has anybody else had a similar problem? Thanks for your input.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCHII-Power Steering Problem

I have an 06 with 37K miles and haven't had any problems. Based on what you describe, I would have first suspected the power steering fluid level was low, but it sounds like you have already had it looked at by the dealer. I'm sure they would have found a low fluid problem.

What exactly did they say they needed to replace or repair?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It is not a hydraulic system, It is electric steering. Hal

Old 04-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Just paraphrasing from the Service Manual:

In the upper right corner of the lower dash there's a steering wheel and exclamation mark symbol. Normally this comes on when you start the car, and then shuts off. If there's a problem with the Electric Power Steering system, it will stay on, and the power assist is turned off.

Have you got that warning light staying on?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:59 PM
F4D
Enthusiast

I have a 2006 and 30days ago I had the same problem and in addition there was a groaning noise coming from the front left wheel when turning. I am 10,000 miles past warranty but Tempe Honda here in Arizona fixed for free. It was indeed the electronic steering unit.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Energy Independence

I think there have been a few Green Hybrid reports of this problem. Search a little - it might be worthwhile.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments. I don't have the warning light staying on after start-up, but again, this has been only an intermittant problem so far. The diagnostic said that the electronic power steering control unit is failing and they recommended replacing it. The service manager said that they had started to see a few problems with these on the hybrid. It's nice to hear that Tempe Honda fixed it for free. Maybe I will get the same treatment.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast

I wanted to report back that Honda USA replaced the power steering control unit free of charge, even though the car was out of warranty!! Originally I was quoted that it would be roughly $700 to fix the problem, not a trivial amount. I would encourage anyone having issues with their power steering to get it in immediately to have looked at.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Arrow Re: HCHII-Power Steering Problem

Originally Posted by Route66
I wanted to report back that Honda USA replaced the power steering control unit free of charge, even though the car was out of warranty!!
That's very nice to hear. Congrats on your good news!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

My employee had the same issue with her Mini Cooper S recently (Minis also have electric power steering). It exhibited the same failure symptoms: boost cuts out during a drive, but comes back if you cycle the IGN key. It got worse and worse until she had to finally replace it ($1100). Of course, hers lasted 110K miles.