Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: High rev experience

Thanks.

Does anyone ever use 'S'?

Old 11-03-2006, 06:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueVFRank
I've taken an demo from the dealer for a testdrive before i ordered mine and i must say it revs pretty easy. I dont like the sportmode, this makes the car much to nervous going through corners because the cvt will go back in gearing and accelarate at the same time to get to peak hp a.s.a.p and then continue to accelarate keeping the rpms at a steady 6800 or so.

Don't know about tractionloss yet because euro versions have tractioncontrol incl dynamic stability control as standard and i didn't want to diengage that on my first ride in somebody else's car. I've ordered mine wit 17" Michelin Pilot Sport 2 so plenty of traction for 110 BHP

Vtec and the computer wil try to optimize combustion in all situations incl high performance. if i ain't misstaken vtec in the hybrid is 3 steps and the sparkplugs (two per cilinder) vary in spark interval
I used sportmode but didn't like it.

reading the extensive information i blaim it on a combination of the cvt and the drive by wire. I suspect that the throttle response is changed in sportsmode for a faster response. This makes it verry hard to ease the car through long corners where youre looking for optimum accelaration without loosing the car.

Sorry but i've always driven sportscars and motorbikes (on and of the track) so milage isn't everything for me.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by noflash
Thanks.

Does anyone ever use 'S'?
I used it over Memorial weekend when I was bouncing around the mountains of PA. Great for throwing the ICE into a high-rev state to use both compression to slow myself coming down, and encourage added regen by the IMA. Maxed out the battery pack a number of times coming down a hill that way, only to drop to four bars on the way up the next. Apart from that, though, there really isn't anywhere I go that makes it useful.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default RT*M

My manual (page 168) says that "S" is second! Nothing at all to do with sport. Good around town or in stop/go situations,or to give improved braking on steep hills..

Last edited by Tulip; 11-03-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:21 AM

FYI - from the manual.

Second (S) - Selecting Second
shifts the transmission into a lower
range of ratios for better
acceleration and increased engine
braking. Use Second when you are
going down a steep hill, or in stopand-
go driving.

Low (L) - To shift to Low, press
the release button on the front of the
shift lever. Use Low to get more
power when climbing, and for
maximum engine braking when
going down steep hills.

For faster accelerationwhen in D, S
or L, the transmission will
automatically ‘‘kick down’’ to a lower
range of ratios by pushing the
accelerator pedal to the floor.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

And after the S, its time for the R for RACING!

Thanks NOFLASh to clarify things, wether they call it second, sport or superman mode the effect is the same. Kickback, shorter ratio's etc goal stays the same to improve performance and response.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't find myself using S at all. Has anyone else had experiences they can relate about using it in stop-and-go traffic? Guess it avoids excessive auto-stopping...

Old 11-03-2006, 12:41 PM

I just tried it on my lunch break. It hold's the revs higher for one thing. I guess it'd be useful in an emergency.

I intended on trying it for the whole lunch trip, but found it annoying and got out of 'S' in a Second!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:22 PM

If "R" = "Race", then "D" must be "Drag race"... "N" = "No go nowhere"... "P" = "Positively no go nowhere" !!!

I only use "S" in the morning to force my instant meter to work (sometimes it will go to zero even coasting downhill) and to force regen (just like the meter, regen will sometimes not function for the first few minutes after starting).

Old 11-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Jeff, does that mean "L" is "Let the wookie win"? All joking aside, do you get regen as soon as you start if you're driving in S? If so, that could help us frosty types in the morning. My SOC takes a huge hit in the morning as it delivers power while accelerating, but doesn't regen as I brake.

Quick Reply: High rev experience

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands