HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

high RPMs with delayed reset to coast RPM range

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default high RPMs with delayed reset to coast RPM range

I have a new 2006 Honda Hybrid since June 10th. For a month it had functioned flawlessly and had an average of 46 MPG! For the past 3 weeks it has acted strangely in that when either in cruise control or even manually accelerating up the interstate the engine would continue to rev at 3800 to 5000 RPMs even though the Hybrid had crested at the hill and started coasting downhill or at level land. The engine speed could only be reset to 1800 to 2200 RPM by decelerating to 35 or 45 MPH or by my manually shifting the center gear shift **** to Second from Drive for only a second. The Honda dealer had the vehicle for 4 days and the Technical Wizards per the main service person were unable to figure out the problem and changed the oil and filter with a computer reset. I was told to drive it for the weekend and bring it back if the problem persisted which it did over Saturday and Sunday even with the spouse driving the car. Honda dealer has had it for two days and no callback yet. Anyone with ideas as to problem? and its hopeful resolution?

Old 08-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: high RPMs with delayed reset to coast RPM range

Never experienced something like that. A problem with the CVT? I wouldn't take the car back until they fix it.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by mudhutnurse
Anyone with ideas as to problem? and its hopeful resolution?
Hummm... that is nasty. I'll have a look at the 2006 HCH service KB later to see if there are any good clues as to what may be hapening.

MSantos

Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

The engine speed could only be reset to 1800 to 2200 RPM by decelerating to 35 or 45 MPH or by my manually shifting the center gear shift **** to Second from Drive for only a second.
Why are you driving in 'second'? That right there is the problem. By having your "gear selector" set there, you are preventing the system from adjusting into more favorable ranges. Sure, it makes sense while coming down a mountain... the gear ratios force engine compression, which raises revs, and thus your regen. But going up mountains or driving on flat land, let the computer do the math and pick the most appropriate ratios. Not only will your mpg thank you for it, your engine will too.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast

I believe what the post is saying is that the car is in D and only comes off the high RPMs by shifting into S for only a second or so and then back to D.

DKeane

Old 08-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

The HondaHybrid is in Drive when the high RPMs occur during the acceleration mode up the hills or passing other vehicles. The engine then still continues to maintain the 3800 to 5000 RPM range even after cresting over any hill and at the bottom of hills while on level highway. That is when I just shift from D to S for a second or less and then the engine seems to reset down to a more respectable RPM range of 1800 to 2200 RPMs. By the way the service repair person called today after 3 days and they still have not figured out the problem and want me to personally drive their lead serviceman to see just what is occuring.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

I have a new 2006 Honda Hybrid since June 10th. For a month it had functioned flawlessly and had an average of 46 MPG! For the past 3 weeks it has acted strangely in that when either in cruise control or even manually accelerating up the interstate the engine would continue to rev at 3800 to 5000 RPMs even though the Hybrid had crested at the hill and started coasting downhill or at level land. The engine speed could only be reset to 1800 to 2200 RPM by decelerating to 35 or 45 MPH or by my manually shifting the center gear shift **** to Second from Drive for only a second. The Honda dealer had the vehicle for 4 days and the Technical Wizards per the main service person were unable to figure out the problem and changed the oil and filter with a computer reset. I was told to drive it for the weekend and bring it back if the problem persisted which it did over Saturday and Sunday even with the spouse driving the car. Honda dealer has had it for two days and no callback yet. Anyone with ideas as to problem? and its hopeful resolution?

OK, so I did a little KB reviewing and I am willing to bet that your problem is likely related to one of the following:

1- The "CVT Speed Sensor Circuit". If you mention this to the dealership, they will look in the appropriate service section and verify each of the items in the check list. Sometimes if the sensor is not properly installed it may cause such behaviors. If that is not the problem then the sensor may be faulty.

2- The trasmission Range circuit. They have to adjust the shift cable or even replace the switch. It could also have an "Open" condition.

Well, since it is under warranty I would advise that you have your Honda dealership service your vehicle and who knows, maybe this information can expedite the solution.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Enthusiast

Went for a drive with the service manager riding shotgun and lead computer tech in the back seat with computer connected to under dash test outlet. The HondaHybrid did just what it was suppose to do as I had explained with them and hopefully the computer with the vehicle not downshifting from the high RPM mode. We have to drive the car on a trip then will get back with Honda dealer to see not if but when the necessary repairs can be made so the Honda can once again deliver 46 MPG. russ

Old 10-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I haven't been able to find mention of this anywhere else on the Internet, and only one other thread on this site. (https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-problem-9133/)

I am having this issue with my 2006 HCH II as well, so I've documented this with a camera in order to help my dealer fix the issue, and perhaps help others that are having the same problem. Does anyone know the outcome of this particular issue for the thread starter?

I posted a video with annotations that details the issue to YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXKy3_xba5o

Old 12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

Heaviestcat...

Unfortunately, I am having the same problem. I bought my 06 HCHII as a certified used last December, and up until this past Monday it drove like a dream. On Monday during my drive to work I noticed the tach sticking after passing slower drivers and 'hovering' between 3600 and 4000 RPM's for oh, say, 10 MILES!

No kidding, folks. Even when I was coasting downhill at 60 MPH with no acceleration other than gravity, the needle wouldn't drop. Also, I watched as my fuel gage dropped astronomically faster than normal, indicating to me that all was not well in 'tranny-land.'

As for the mismatched tire issue, I have that going on as well. I had a nail in my tire back in March, and they replaced it with, of course, a Dunlop (grr). Did not have an issue until Monday, tires were rotated last Saturday. I'm not sure if this could be the cause, but... who knows.

Of course, Murphy's Law states that the people at the dealership wouldn't get the problem to duplicate itself. I had them drive it on the interstate 3 times until it reared it's ugly head. Tomorrow it will undergo a diagnostic check, and then the repair. No check lights have come on, but this is seriously an issue as the technician was baffled. I driven this car 20,000 miles in a year now, and I know something is VERY wrong. If you have not had this problem, you are lucky, it makes for quite an uncomfortable ride (car jumps forward every time you hit the gas after the tach sticks, it felt like someone was punching me in the back.)

I will post on here tomorrow what I find out. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Quick Reply: high RPMs with delayed reset to coast RPM range

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands