HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Honda Block Heater Install - I GIVE UP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Rookie Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Block Heater Install - I GIVE UP!!!

hello all,

sorry for coming into this thread so late, but in case anyone else is considering a heater block for their HCH II, I got a good deal at Bernardi's online (specific for the Hybrid)-- currently advertised for $46.80 US

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptions.aspx

08T44-SVB-100 HEATER, ENGINE BLOCK 46.80

and again, this may be way too late to be of interest, but if your interested in cost comparisons, you might check this earlier thread concerning dealer installation prices-

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-heater-18747/

quite a range in charges, depending on the dealer (shopping around seemed to help).

Phil

Old 11-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Up in Canada, I was thinking about mail order. I found similar prices but with the current (not so hot) exchange rate plus $20US shipping (confirmed by email), the $47+$20 price becomes $82Cdn. With my dealership offering $101 for the part and $161 installed, I decided to go that route.. I booked appointment for this Saturday

Now they're hemming and hawing a bit about charging me extra for the coolant (just the liquid itelf, not extra labour), but what the heck, the price is still "reasonable". Well, as long as I don't get dinged for 2 full 4 liter jugs, or at least get to keep the residual. I got a price on coolant, from another dealer: they're asking $17.26 for 4 liter (pre-mixed) jug. The spec'd. refill qty is 4.75 liter, including reserve tank.

What kind of ticks me is I have the pdf install instruction more-or-less memorized, and even went so far as to do a trial removal of the cowl (one of the steps, appears to be mainly to improve access), to see how it would go, LOL.

Just for reference,

The Canadian block heater kit part no: 08T44-SVB-300

and (identical?) US kit part no: 08T44-SVB-100

and HCHII coolant part no: OL999/9001 (Canadian no., anyway)

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 11-26-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Resident ICE Wizard

Originally Posted by gyropilot
Hi gang,

In preparation for the coming winter, I just bought a Honda engine block heater kit for my 2006 Civic Hybrid, which I intended to install it myself this weekend.

Well a WORD OF ADVICE to you other do-it-yourselfers out there: You may seriously want to think twice about trying to install this kit yourself.

Let me tell you why...

To start with I figured I'm pretty well qualified for such a simple task, as I'm the type of guy who does all my own maintenance work (I've even rebuilt several engines and drive trains over the years). I built from scratch, and regularly fly, an experimental aircraft. I have a great collection of tools which I've amassed from working on my vehicles and my aircraft. I even have a mini-machine shop in my garage.

This job would be a piece of cake I thought... and it actually was... until I tried to remove the engine block coolant drain plug in the almost-impossible-to-reach-spot on the rear of the hybrid engine!

I tried every combination of wrench, ratchet, breaker bar, and socket I could get on the plug, but it simply wouldn't budge no matter how hard I pulled! I had a pile of tools by the car by the time I was done and at one point I even tried a small air impact wrench. I tried to wrenching at it from the top-rear of the engine, from the side of the engine, from inside the wheel well (took the tire and wheel off); from under the car (jacked it up and put it on jack stands).

I pulled so hard on the wrench in one weird position from the passenger side of the engine, that I was afraid I could possibly break my own arm! I have nasty bruises, bleeding cuts, and scrapes from my elbows to my hands to show for this struggle.

After several hours of this, I finally threw in the towel in complete disgust. I really hated to as I don't usually give up easily at anything. But that little drain plug beat me. I can't figure out what those guys assembling that engine in Japan were thinking... sheez!

After I refilled the radiator with fresh coolant, warmed up the engine, and bled the air from the cooling system... just for good measure I tried one last time to loosen the drain plug with the engine still hot. I covered the hot engine with towels to prevent searing my arms while I wrenched at the plug from the top-rear of the engine. I did burn one knuckle anyway. I was thinking that *maybe* the difference in the coefficient of expansion between the aluminum engine block and the steel drain plug might make a difference. It didn't.

As bad as I loath letting another mechanic touch my car, now I'll have to make an appointment with the local dealer and let them try to install the block heater kit. Maybe they'll know some special trick to remove that stubborn drain plug... or maybe they'll just have better luck with the car up on a service lift.

John L.
Did you ever think that, just maybe, the thread were reversed on this drain plug?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:11 PM

No chance. I've done coolant changes on past Hondas, that was not the case. And have always purchased the shop manual. The HCHII instruction simply says "Remove the drain bolt...".

There is no way a car is going to have a reverse thread bolt without a clear warning, and a good reason.

They are a bear to remove. Some kind of sudden impact helps. I think it's mainly the design of the plug that makes it tough. In the exploded views, the thread diameter looks to be larger than the bolt head diameter (19mm wrench).

Also, just relying on fuzzy memory, I think it's a fine thread. And in the past I think there was something on the threads, ie: some kind of liquid gasket.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

It has been a long time since I lived in cold land, but I would always go to a tank heater over a block or dip stick heater.

In fact I had a propane one on my Austin Healy 3000 when I lived in Minnesota, -30 and a 12 volt battery in the trunk, with SU carbs made that car very unfriendly in the winter.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

What do you mean by a 'tank heater'? I'm picturing something electric that goes into the radiator at the cap. Is that right?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

The tank heater was a tank "small cylinder that held water with the inlet and outlets had check valves so that the water would flow out of the top outlet when heated by a electric coil or a propane bottle. It all mounted external with the water connections were done by cuting a hose. For an electric one try looking at JC whitney their module #Tank-type Engine Heater, 1000-WattZX540691A

Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Enthusiast

Late reply but I thought it would be useful for others who find this thread if I mention that I just had a block heater installed on my 06 HCH with no problems at all. I took it to Cumberland Honda in Amherst, NS, Canada. They charged me $152.55 CAN including the part and the labour, which took about 45 minutes. I made sure they were installing the hybrid heater, which as mentioned earlier, is a different part number.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Andrew, just curious: According to the install instruction, the wiring is supposed to route along the back side of the valve cover, then down beside the 12V battery, and down into the front grill of the lower bumper. Also, they are supposed to return you the original bolt for the block heater location (the original coolant engine block drain bolt).

Did they do it like that?

Our experience with our dealership was they just bunched all the wiring up and zip tied directly adjacent to the block heater, ran the wiring to the front grill via the passenger side, and chucked the original drain bolt.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

Hmmm they did not return the original bolt or even mention it. I did not examine the wiring any closer other than noticing the outlet runs out the lower grill on the driver side. I did mention the information in thiis thread prior to them starting the work, which they seemed open to. About ten minutes into the job they notified me that they had the bolt off and that it was no trouble at all. They said the only issue was that the engine was hot, making it tricky to access. I asked them if they worked on many hybrids and they said they do, because they have contracts with a lot of provincial government departments that use hybrids.