HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Honda Care- Must have or why bother?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast
Question Honda Care- Must have or why bother?

No one wants to throw money down the hole but I have been quoted 1100 for generic "call this 800 number and see if covered or 2060 for 84k "sleep like a baby" no worry HondaCare miles.

I firmly believe you MUST have a relationship with your service persons and that they be technically competent with these sophisticated machines.

I needed a new transmission for 5 grand in a Acura TL the dealer cited history and goodwill and gave it to me for a grand.

I feel there is sufficient evidence...

EXHIBIT A:
http://gohypermiling.com/ #51

...for me to cover my @ss so should I; would you pay for HondaCare?

Last edited by MrGimme; 03-16-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Wrong Episode #
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Care- Must have or why bother?

Yes I think I would probably go for it with the Hybrid, but in saying that I have never had to use the extended warranty on my 2006 HCH2. Mind you I still have 3 yrs. left. Who Knows? H

Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Think green.

We purchased an extended HondaCare warranty when I bought a used HCH, but it didn't cost anywhere near the price you've been quoted.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Holy s**t. that was an awesome podcast crammed with good information. I reckon Manuel is THE msantos??

anyways, I never get extended warranties but sometimes I worry about it. I says: go for it.

ks

Old 03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Gairwyn did you get yours as part of new purchase? What year, what year car, what price?

I am talking used 2011, 2010 Car, 2060 for 84K.

I may go less miles like 50k and dump it by then, get into something else with Li-On ;^)

Kevin was that go for it and buy it? Or go for it without buying it. I am not very mechanically inclined but I CAN change my own oil, and likely will after all the stories of "Chuckleheads" using the wrong stuff. Now if I could just find someone with a good track record of applying updates... Has any anyone ever rolled back an update?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Think green.

Originally Posted by MrGimme
Hey Gairwyn did you get yours as part of new purchase? What year, what year car, what price?
... Has any anyone ever rolled back an update?
No, I bought a used 2004 Honda Civic hybrid back in 2007 after the first owner's lease was up. The HondaCare was $1295. I suppose it could be because it was an older car, therefore the total warranty time would be shorter than in your case, but if I remember reading correctly in discussions on these forums there were several people who paid less than I did for a HondaCare warranty on the newer model. (Try the search function.) I guess it depends on the dealer. Some people purchased cheaper HondaCare warranties online, but I don't know if that option is still available.

(I'm assuming here that you're buying from a dealer. If you're buying from a private party, and they purchased a HondaCare warranty, I think it's transferable for a nominal fee of something like $50.)

As far as I know, the updates can't be rolled back.

Found an old discussion using the search function:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...urchase-10584/

Last edited by Gairwyn; 03-16-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast

I bought 84 mo/105K when new in 2006. I told the dealer I'd buy it on the internet for a rock bottom price or I'd give him $50 more than that to do it right there. Every dealer I've ever done that with (other manufacturers) has always taken that deal. They wanted around $1250 for it after haggling down from $1600. I declined and bought it 2 weeks later online from a dealer in OH for around $800.

I learned last week that Hondacare will not pay for towing when the car breaks down under warranty. My car died in the middle of the street and had to be towed to the dealer. At the end of the day, they said that it displayed NO CODES after having lights on for weeks on the dash (IMA, check engine) and that the only issue was the recall on the DC to DC converter...which they did. The big battery warranty is separate and Honda isn't honoring those anyway. Mine stopped working last year and Honda won't replace it. I get about 29 mpg now.