HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is Honda quality slipping? Or is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Energy Independence
Question Is Honda quality slipping? Or is this normal?

2 safety recalls. That's probably about average for a new, highly different auto such as a hybrid.

I had the door glass running-out-of-channel issue fixed under factory warranty.

I had the Control Arms replaced at 39K, with my extended warranty.

I had a sunvisor replaced also with my extended warranty.

I recently had an O2 sensor go out. I'm now well over the 36K warranty (48K), but have a HondaCare extended warranty. That's what they said they covered it under, not the emissions warranty. I suspect the emissions warranty should cover it, though. At any rate, 48K is WAY too soon for this to be occurring.

I still need to get 2 other TSBs taken care of...

I'm now glad I bought the HondaCare extended warranty (8yr/120K/$0 deductible). I have a feeling it will more than pay for itself, if it hasn't already. I've now seen way too many issues with enough of us to be without it. It's possible Honda "goodwill" will cover ALL of these issues, but I'd sure not count on it.

Many of Honda's TSBs didn't come out until WELL into the 2nd or 3rd year of this series - too late to be covered under your "now just expired 36K" warranty - even though many have been well-known issues since early to mid-2006. Examples:
(1) TSB 06-014, TSB date 2007/09/07 - Front Door Glass Comes out of the Channel.
This was occurring with such frequency BEFORE the TSB that many dealers stocked tons of extras for warranty replacement. What took Honda so long here?

(2) TSB 08-001, TSB date 2008/02/08 - Uneven or Rapid Rear Tire Wear.
This INCORRECT PART CONTROL ARM ISSUE took Honda until Feb. 2008 to admit to! Ridiculous. Just look under ANY Civic from 2006-2008: oops, there it is, the bad-design part. The TSB make you go through hoops with visible irregular tire-wear, when the issue is simply the bad part IS ON YOUR CAR.

(3) TSB 08-023, TSB date 2008/05/16 - Sunvisor Comes apart or splits when moved.
This was also occurring on all Civics and was well-known before the TSB.

(4) TSB 08-051, TSB date 2008/08/06 - DVD Read error, or no route display, And DVD is Scratched.

(5) TSB 08-057, TSB date 2008/08/23 - Brake System makes short, buzzy grunt when the brake pedal is pressed.
Here's our long-known brake fart issue.

(6) TSB 09-003, TSB date 2009/01/16 - Trunk Spoiler Scuffs or Chips the Trunk Lid.
OMG how long has this been a known issue? Many have tried to get their attention. I've pointed out to several dealers myself this very issue on 2008 HCHs sitting NEW ON THEIR LOTS. Over 3 years to acknowledge the problem? Sad.

A few too many reports of IMA batteries dying an earlier-than-expected death. This is most disturbing. Does this occur with the Prius or the FEH?

It's all a little disappointing from my perspective, especially coming from Honda. Don't get me wrong. I love my car. I just feel lapses in quality control and Honda's slow admissions to them are unfortunate. I also suspect these slow admissions have cost many owners real money, rather than being covered on Honda's dime.

Agree?
Or is this just what we should expect nowadays?
Or is it that I just "know too much" about my HCH and its TSBs, and never "knew enough" about my other cars' issues and their TSBs?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is Honda quality slipping? Or is this normal?

[quote=gumby;200102]
A few too many reports of IMA batteries dying an earlier-than-expected death. This is most disturbing. Does this occur with the Prius or the FEH?

Honda owns the market in regards to the hybrid battery failing earlier than expected. This may be due to the "wider" range Honda allows between charging and discharging. I have only read of one FEH battery failing during my years owning my 2005 FEH.

It's all a little disappointing from my perspective, especially coming from Honda.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Most of the failures that required a TSB take a while to find root cause and a fix - no TSB until there is a fix - many problems are acknowledged but no TSB yet because the fix is not formally approved. Most of the TSB above are not Honda Engineering faults but 3rd part suppliers. The sunvisor was quality of one of the suppliers, It took a while to find a replacement that looked the same. the front window glass was also a supplier problem.

The rear deck spoiler is a true Honda Engineering problem, They did not look at the heating cooling cycles for a defect in the paint, They looked for items that would fail too soon.

I have had contact with Honda Engineers for my Ridgeline and believe you me that they went over 50 ridgelines in St. Louis and looked at every complaint and took back parts and they fixed almost every problem. My complaint was fixed - my dealer said 4 hours and $650, they (Honda engineers and Huey Honda) fixed it in 5 minutes and for free ( ok the cost of driving to St. Louis 2 tanks of gas ).

Here is a link to some of the documentation - it takes about message 55 to see the work being done and lots of refreshment to do it. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=16453

Last edited by larryr; 03-27-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by gumby
2 safety recalls. That's probably about average for a new, highly different auto such as a hybrid.
Interesting though that only one of the recalls was related to hybrid parts--the other (the steering grease/brake light switch) was series-wide for the Civic.

I have to say that I'm a little bummed by this too. I've had my HCH at the dealership more times in 25k miles than I took my Ford Contour in 95k miles. I expected more from Honda based on their reputation. The HCH is only a little worse than 18k miles in my Subaru Outback though (which had one recall, one TSB and one warranty-repaired wheel bearing) before I sold it.

That being said, the HCH is still the best car I've ever owned, and the ownership experience has been excellent despite the hiccups you detailed above.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with the lower than normal Honda quality. I've had a navigation failure on my HCHII at around 12-15k miles. It took a really long time for it to be replaced. I've recently went to the dealer for service and they apparently fixed the loud vibrating dash sound.

I disagree that I am happy with the HCHII, I am quite the opposite, very unhappy because to me, quality is the most important thing when it comes to a car. As a result of these issues, I would rate my overall satisfaction at 3 out of 10 (and only because the navi is actually really good when it works).

Old 03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

does anyone know if the brake fart noise is a safety concern?
I really don't care much, as long as the car stops like normal.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:10 PM

I'm positive it is a noise that the car has. I don't believe it is a default with the HCH2. Probably something to do with ANTI-LOCK brakes?Hal

Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Energy Independence

TSB 08-057 (September 26, 2008) implies that the Brake "Fart" is indeed an issue. I doubt it's truly a saftey issue, or else (eventually) a Safety Recall would likely occur.

This TSB states the cure is a replacement of the Master Cylinder and Servo Unit Assembly (servo set). 2.5 hours of labor.
This sounds like an expensive repair for Honda to do. They state it is likely caused by brake fluid pulsation within the AHB (advanced hydraulic booster) when the brake pedal is pressed.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 AM

Good luck in duplicaiting the sound when you get the car to the dealer! I have never heard of this actually being repaired!Hal

Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

My freind just traded in his Insight 240,000 miles for a Fit got 2,500 trade-in the dealer just put it on his used lot for 9,700 and the mileage wasn't turned back.
Then main problem he had was it failed pollution testing 2 years ago had to cough up for new cats and senors.
I hope my 08 will due as well, our history is drivem until they drop most of our car's reached 200K but they were history.

The worst car/truck we had for recall's was our 98 ford explorer. Major saftey problems was sticking cruse control, fire from brake sensor, and blow out firestone tires, plus a few non-safey items.

Quick Reply: Is Honda quality slipping? Or is this normal?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands