HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Honda recalls 36,656 Civic Hybrids over potential engine stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Honda recalls 36,656 Civic Hybrids over potential engine stalling

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/03/03...engine-stalls/

A problem with the DC-to-DC converter in some 2006-2007 Honda Civic Hybrids means that the Japanese automaker will recall 36,656 of these vehicles. Honda will replace the converter – part of the Integrated Motor Assist hybrid control system – in these vehicles because it "may experience an internal failure that could lead to engine stalling and malfunction of vehicle headlights." Honda says that no crashes or injuries have been reported because of this problem. Official notices will be sent to customers starting March 18, but if you want to know if your vehicle is affected now*, you can visit this website or call 1-800-999-1009 and select option 4.

This isn't the first time Honda has had problems with the Civic hybrid. Owners have previously complained about the car's batteries and software and the company settled a mileage lawsuit out of court.

*UPDATE: Actually, Honda told AutoblogGreen that the full VIN list will not be available until March 18., adding that if you call today, you "will only be frustrated to find that we can't tell them anything definitive." Also:
Automakers are required to notify government agencies about recalls on a fairly short timeline, and our notification to NHTSA and the Japanese MLIT prompted this announcement. That short timeline often precedes getting final information on all vehicles that are affected. NHTSA allows some time for the automaker to finalize that list and notify vehicle owners. This is why we generally post a later date for consumers to check back in our statements about recalls. We don't want them to get frustrated looking for information before it's actually available.
So, please be patient.

[Source: Honda]

Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: Honda recalls 36,656 Civic Hybrids over potential engine stalling

This should be a relatively simple module swap out. The DC-DC converter is back behind the rear seat.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast

Suspicious me thinks this is just another attempt to get the rest of us with HCH into the dealer so they can do the software update we don't want.
GL

Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

While I believe the recall may be legit, I too am worried they'll force an update upon us.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default IMA recall

I had the IMA recall done on my 2007 HCHII yesterday, and I am pleased to note that the car is performing much better now. The MPGs jumped 10% and the auto-stop function is much smoother. I had the car in at 8 am, and it was completed by noon.

All in all I recommend having this service action done asap.

My HCHII is nearing its 80K service, and continues to be a reliable, quiet, no-problem car.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA recall

Gary...

Thanks for your endorsement of the software update. We typically see so many negative comments suggesting that Honda is being unethical and only trying to avoid warranty claims while "neutering" the IMA system.

I have to admit that I've held off getting it done because I remain very pleased with how my HCHII works now.

Thanks for your many other useful contributions I've read over the past couple years.

Cheers,

Roger

Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Remember, this recall is to replace a hardware module in the IMA system behind the rear seat, it is not just software.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Huh, what gives, I went to the Honda website where it has made reference to the recall in the past but now, there is nothing there...I have not reveived a letter, I do not feel like dealing with the dealer..is there a simple way to find out if I need the fix?

Last edited by Bobs Metallic Pearl; 03-27-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Have your VIN ready, and call any Honda Dealer's service department, and ask them to check to see if the IMA recall is applicable to your car. You can also call the Honda corporate customer care, or set up an account on the Honda OwnerLink page.

There you can see if there are active recalls on your car. BTW: The IMA recall is for 2006 & 2007 cars.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gary,

If I read you correctly, you're saying you also got new software with this recall. Which updates had you already had on your car? Did they force you to get the one that many of us don't want?

Thanks,
-dan

Quick Reply: Honda recalls 36,656 Civic Hybrids over potential engine stalling

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands