Old 02-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Sounds like it is time

to trade the Honda for a Toyota.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What a whiner!

Originally Posted by molex
I should just close my mouth and pretend this is the greatest car out there so I can fit in and be accepted by the crowd, right?
Sounds like there's some misplaced rage going on here. (The problems you cite do not warrant the extreme reaction you are having.)

This is a hybrid, and that alone would (seem) to cause one to think about what trade-offs would be necessary in exchange for increased gas mileage. And that means research before you buy. (Did you know that how you drive the car actually has a great impact on your gas mileage?)

Aside from the window not "rolling down" - you should should raise a stink about that and persist in getting it fixed - and a bad set of wipers, everything else is something you could have known about before purchase, by either test driving the car, inspecting the car, and/or by doing a little reading about it.

But then, as you say, it is a company car, so my guess is you may have been less inclined to take care of it (Scotchguard), make adjustments for comfort, learn about how to drive it, compare differences (gas guzzlers and other hybrids), and so on.

By the way, you would do well to thoroughly examine and test drive the Prius before you buy. After driving one myself, I was very surprised at how disappointed I was -- I found it impossible to see through the rear, the navi on dashboard is not tilted toward driver so it's very difficult to view, the little **** to change gears was very toy-like and cheesy, the handling was lacking, and there's no comparison in hp.)

Every car has its strong and weak points. Folks here are friendly, helpful, honest and forthcoming. No one is posting only good news or agreeing just to "fit in." Dig in a little and you'll find all kinds of useful and varying information.

Good luck (sincerely)!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The honey moon is over.

So the guy doesn't like the car? He's entitled to his opinions. You'd probably get a better ear over on the "other" board, that is if you haven't already done that.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

I should've bought a Prius. I'm so glad this is a company car, if I'd shelled out money for this car I'd be at my dealer taking a big loss on it trading it in.

If you're thinking about buying one of these.... things... don't. After the "cool" wears off you're left with a mediocre car that acts like it's 10 years old after only 6 months. Get the Toyota Prius. I should've figured there was a REASON the Prius is so much more popular.
I am sorry you did not have a better experience with your vehicle, but I agree with the recommendations & suggestions others offered in previous postings.

BUT...

I can guarantee you that you do not know what you talking about when you refer to the Prius as being a better quality car.
I would humbly suggest that if you do not want to embarrass yourself any further that you read some of the interesting stuff over at Priuschat. Maybe then you'll know that the grass on the other side is not that green after all.

Also, how do I know that? I own a 07 Prius and an HCH-II.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Gotta say this is my 2nd HCH and I could not be happier. The only reason I got the new one is a Ford F250 hit me and I liked the style of the HCHII.

Everyone has different expectations.

Why do you think that you would be so much happier with a Prius? I have a friend with one and I get about 10 mpg better than he does.

Good luck finding happiness.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:12 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

is that you, demanda?

Old 02-16-2007, 10:16 AM

THough he does have a point about OEM wipers (replacing the blade inserts takes forever and is a pain to say the least), aftermarket blades are now available as a complete unit (saw them at WM for $13, they look and are shaped exactly the same as OEM), I've seen less drama from teenage girls. Yes, my HCH II hasn't lived up to ALL my expectations (35-36 mpg now on long rides in 5-10 deg. weather, poor traction in the winter with stock tires, and a couple of squeaks on pothole filled roads) I've overall been happy with the Honda. No, the lights don't turn off like on my wife's Ridgeline, but it was also significantly cheaper than a comparable Prius with Nav. Some people are picky about their cars as I was until it got hit the first (or second) time, stuck in a hail storm, etc. I empathize with the feeling of frustration when a new car isn't perfect. If someone really thinks their Honda, or Toyota, is sooooo bad, let them rent an Ford for a week and see what poor quality and workmanship really is (I can say this from 12 years of former ownership experience with 3 Fords). Remember, though, the reason the grass is greener on the other side is usually because it's astro-turf, so don't set yourself up to get disappointed.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:29 PM

When I first got my HCHII I was pretty excited. Well, that's over. I would not buy this car again, and if this car is an indicator of what Honda does in it's car division then I won't be buying any more Honda cars at all.

Problems so far: Driver side window won't stay in the track, it "pops out" when rolling up. Fixed once, started doing it again the next day.

Windshield wipers, who designed this IDIOTIC SYSTEM. I've bought THREE sets of windshield wipers NONE of them fit. I've never owned a car where I had to buy OEM wipers (which SUCK by the way, last less than 6 months).

The car creaks, groans and rattles on anything but the smoothest pavement. There's so many squeeks and moans coming from inside on a bumpy road I long ago gave up thinking about fixing them all.

The seats stain easily, making my "new" car look like crap after only a few months.

The rear defroster takes about two weeks to defrost the window.

The center console is just a chasma where everything gets lost.

I can't find a comfortable setting for the driver side seat.

The montana-size piece of real-estate called the dash holds so much heat the car is like an oven in the summer (middle of winter and I still remember it).

Rear head rests are RIGHT in the way of the rear view mirror field of vision (removed them but I shouldn't have to).

Mileage not as advertised.

Nice warning gong when I leave the headlights on. Even my Toyota Tundra TRUCK is smart enough to just turn the lights off when I open the door so I never even have to think about turning the headlights on/off.

I should've bought a Prius. I'm so glad this is a company car, if I'd shelled out money for this car I'd be at my dealer taking a big loss on it trading it in.

If you're thinking about buying one of these.... things... don't. After the "cool" wears off you're left with a mediocre car that acts like it's 10 years old after only 6 months. Get the Toyota Prius. I should've figured there was a REASON the Prius is so much more popular.
You appear to have short man syndrome. Are you fat as well?

The wiper system is very cool. Just use carburator cleaner on the blades and Rejex or rain-X the windows and your blades will keep going just fine. Another poster gave me that idea- not an original.

The driver side window auto-up mistrack has a fix and wont cost you anything. Big deal.

Creaks/groans/rattles-- I dunno. Mine doesnt have ANY. Its been a year in April.

Seats stain easy-- NO THEY DONT. I had mine fabric protected. Do you eat in your car? Stop doing that. It will help you in other ways as well.

Rear defroster- mines very fast. Dont use it much though.

Center console-- is perfect for setting up my XM Radio. Its not a chasm. Huh?

Seat Comfortable- remarkably comfortable. Lose weight. It isnt quite up to my Volvo I had previously as far as seat comfort. But its pretty good.

Heat holding-- whatever. I live in scorching Houston Texas. No issue. Lose weight.

Rear head rests are in the way- No they arent. How tall are you?

Mileage not as advertised-- UM YES IT IS. I get 51-52 easy on the highway. Combined is usually between 48-50. Not even a challenge. Lose weight. Seriously though- I find that not having stuff in the trunk and not running the air too much allows the car to get its EPA estimate without much difficulty.

Headlight warning- is normal. I dont like auto on off stuff--inevitably-- it confuses folks.-

Prius- The Prius isnt designed well from a driver standpoint. I didnt like it. I also think the technology and how its applied makes more sense in the Honda Civic offering.

These are all interim step vehicles before whatever comes next. I think the car is a leap forward myself and I wish more folks drove them personally.

Anyway, your post is basically full of it and you are talkin bull.

Have a nice day.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hell, at least you GOT a honeymoon! For me, it was right back to work the day after I got the car. I didn't even get to spend the night with her (she sleeps in the garage).

Count your blessings!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Enthusiast

Folks,

I am going to side with the OP on some of this stuff...

Problems so far: Driver side window won't stay in the track, it "pops out" when rolling up. Fixed once, started doing it again the next day.
Have a 2007, no problems so far.

Windshield wipers, who designed this IDIOTIC SYSTEM. I've bought THREE sets of windshield wipers NONE of them fit. I've never owned a car where I had to buy OEM wipers (which SUCK by the way, last less than 6 months).
Have not had to replace them, but I like the wipers.

The car creaks, groans and rattles on anything but the smoothest pavement. There's so many squeeks and moans coming from inside on a bumpy road I long ago gave up thinking about fixing them all.
I agree totally. We have a 2006 Pilot, and the build quality is much better. My old car is a 2000 Subaru and it has no sounds. The HCH-II definitly rattles and makes sounds and feels cheap.

The seats stain easily, making my "new" car look like crap after only a few months.
Agree totally, but we bought the car with this seat color. Pleather would have been better :-)

Rear head rests are RIGHT in the way of the rear view mirror field of vision (removed them but I shouldn't have to).
Never noticed that....I think the Pirius is worse.

Mileage not as advertised.
I agree. In Norhtern CA it has a life average of 42 MPG after about 8 tanks. Not bad, but I expected better.

Nice warning gong when I leave the headlights on. Even my Toyota Tundra TRUCK is smart enough to just turn the lights off when I open the door so I never even have to think about turning the headlights on/off.
I think it turns the lights off if you leave it for a while and saves the battery.

Perhaps....

Perhaps. They are both good cars.

Dobe

Quick Reply: The honey moon is over.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands