HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Horn

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Question Horn

Hey All. How's it going? I am looking to buy a new horn for my '07. I was wondering if anyone who has replaced theirs can reccommend one for me to get. I don't need a huge semi horn, but I would like something more than my wimpy HCH horn. I am looking for something that's not too difficult to install, that will fit where the OEM horn is.
Thanks,
Colby

PS: Why did they add those little bookmark icons down there??
| | | |
| | | |
V V V V

Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Horn

Oreint Express installed the Hella Dual Horn. I'm looking at getting the same setup. You can search YouTube for Hella Horn to hear how they sound. Here's a link to OE's thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ighlight=hella

Old 08-31-2007, 08:31 PM

I got a Hella Supertone Horn today. I will install it over labor day weekend and let you all know how it is.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:20 AM

I installed the horn saturday night. It is super loud and way better than the OEM horn. If you want a normal car horn, I do not suggest this one. If you want a horn that is very loud and can be heard from far away, I do suggest this horn. The two tones really get your attention. It's a good horn.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mine arrived yesterday and I'll get around to installing it this weekend. They are heavier than I expected.....

Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

The funny thing about the HCHII horn: on the outside, the horn does get attention even if monotonic; from the cabin, the sound is very muted and distant (not necessarily a bad thing). However, I must admit, driving my 03 Accord for four years spoiled me with the virtues of a true, dual-tone, classic American/German car "whooonk". No snoozing behind the wheel with that one. So, when I picked up the HCHII, it took one day to realize the little horn just didn't command attention especially from the driver's seat. That, and the fact that my wife and 7-year old son laughed when I beeped a lane drifter. I think the term "clown horn" was chuckled in the back seat.

Well, a little internet research and a browse through the Hella horn catalog turned up the answer: Hella TE16 hi/lo trumpet horns. As Hella puts it "trumpet horns found on North American and European automobiles are overwhelmingly preferred by end users in terms of sound richness." Indeed, the 400 Hz/500 Hz dual horn set is the one we all know and respect on the road. It's the horn that says "yeah, YOU!" in that polyphonic kinda way.

Best of all, the Hella TE16 hi/lo trumpet horn kit is readily available from a number of online sources for about $25 or less. It's a great do-it-yourself project if you're mechanically/electrically inclined. A picture is attached of my install.

The horn set makes a loud, pleasing tone that wakes up anyone in your path. A worthy upgrade for any HCHII.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hella TE16 on HCHII.pdf (100.9 KB, 350 views)
Old 10-12-2007, 06:33 AM

clindguini, you write well.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by clindguini
"clown horn"
Cracked me up Nice-looking horn.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind comments and for your posts, as well!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

trumpet horn cannot last, mine sound much softer after one year
since switched to hella supertone horn
PN 3 AG 003 399-801 (12V)

scaring away moron for past years via the 2x66W 118db moron blaster

PS: over my country our ride equipted with dual stock horn vs yours at right only

Last edited by bengteck; 10-15-2007 at 06:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Horn

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands