HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Hot weather blues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hot weather blues!

I'm guessing they've put more thermal protection in for the gen 2. The voltages are a bit higher, too... so that may need more protection.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast

Mine is really bad now. I got forced regens and IMA crashes down to 1 bar just after stopping at a gas station in low 90 degree weather. Something's gotta be wrong. I wouldn't qualify low 90s as "extreme" heat.

- Frank

Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

ftlum:
Maybe what your experiencing doesn't have to do w/ the heat. If the problem doesn't go away, I would take it to your dealer.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm glad I haven't seen those temps too much...However the humidity is quite bad here off the Chesapeake bay!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
ftlum:
Maybe what your experiencing doesn't have to do w/ the heat. If the problem doesn't go away, I would take it to your dealer.

Yup, did that. Fortunately, they reproduced the symptoms. There seems to be something that Honda is aware of; they tried to do some sort of update to the transmission settings or something, but no luck for me. It crashed again today. IMA seems to last longer if I park under a tree. I don't recall this being such of a problem last year, though I was in a different job and almost always in the shade.

Given that to some degree, this seems to be a know issue, and that the HCH I apparently did better in the heat, you'd think they'd have a fix.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
I'm glad I haven't seen those temps too much...However the humidity is quite bad here off the Chesapeake bay!
You've got that right. I used to crack my windows when parked at work, but one day I forgot to do it, and by finding a shady spot to park in, in combination with the sunshade in the windshield I've found it's actually more comfortable in the car after even four hours if I leave the windows closed, since it isn't as humid in the car as it is outside - of course, this is dependent on having run the air conditioner on the drive to work prior to parking.

Or maybe I'm just crazy and looking for any relief (even if it is placebo, hehe).

Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ran across this thread and forgot I had posted to it.

I have since traded in my 06 for an 07 (had an offer for the 06 I couldn't refuse and got the 07 with NAV). The 07 acted the same, AC sucked while sitting in traffic even with the engine running. Talked to a Honda tech I know, he had another tech come over and I asked them if there was anything to reprogram regarding the AC because it got cold at times, but other times would blow barely cool air. He said yes, specifically the AC would kick off for 8 seconds when you accelerated. I took the car in and they plugged their cool touch screen scanner in to the OBD and loaded up the latest firmware in about 10 minutes. Immediately after OMG the air was actually cold for once!

I also finally had the windows tinted which helped a lot as well. Between the reprogram and that the AC performance is very acceptable now. I've seen the electric AC work at up to 106 degrees, but as soon as it goes to 107 it will absolutely not stop the engine. Even at 106 it's intermittent.

MPG's are around 40 flat combined city and highway with the AC set to auto 78 degrees. I could definitely live with a higher temperature setting if they had cool air flowing through the seat backs. These seats I find are highly insulating causing a sweaty back.

All well, I still like the car. I'm doing a trip to Los Angeles over Memorial day weekend, I'm curious to see how it does.