HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How far can you usually go on a tank of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How far can you usually go on a tank of gas?

Looking at the GreenHybrid mileage database and assuming the average fill up is 10.5 gallons, it looks like generally HCHII owners are getting about 483 miles between tanks.

-dan

Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
"Manalo"

i get just around 400 miles and that is mostly city driving. I'm sure I could get more miles to the gallon if I spent more time on the highway

Old 09-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm usually in the high 500's to low 600's per tank. I always put in one gallon above the first "click-off" at the pump (it will take up to 1.8 gallons, but takes forever to get pumped in!).

Old 09-15-2008, 05:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

How much gas is left when the last bar dissapears from the tank level?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Hybrid Evangelist

I generally can get about 640-650 miles before I get nervous and fill up. Usually I have about a gallon left in the tank (based on 12.3 gal.) As far as fuel left in the tank when the light comes on, (about two bars remaining), IIRC, early on I filled up when the light came on and I put about 9.7 gallons in the tank.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

I just had my first fill up and got around 450 miles to the tank. I still had about 1.8 gallons left and calculated about 42.6 mpg. The car was driven by 3 different people with and without air conditioner and mostly suberb type driving...very little highway long distance. 85-90+ degrees.
I suspect that I will get better mileage as the car breaks in and less other drivers get behind the wheel. I did not do a thing to set-up the car. Left the tire pressure the way the dealer gave it to me. I wanted to get a baseline to work from and to improve from. Plus, I'm learning how to and how to not accelerate! I guess that is the "pulse and glide" technique!
Roadways around here are mostly flat with slight inclines.

HBJ

Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mileage is definitely affected by other drivers.

Sometimes I'll have the trip mileage up to 55mpg and my wife will go out shopping and come back and its down to 46!

So then I have to work twice as hard to bring it up to 50+.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Energy Independence

Just take it to the dealer for service for some REAL enlightenment on how bad it can suffer!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:52 PM

I'm going to have my first 700+ tank!!! I've got 670 now with one bar left. I wish I had "super-filled" the tank last time (1.8 gallons past first click-off). I only put in 0.85 gallons this time. If I had added the extra gallon, an 800 mile tank would have easily been possible.

Regarding the question on how far you can go with one bar left... well, the fuel light illuminates with two bars left, and there is supposed to be about a two gallon reserve when the light comes on. Mine dropped to one bar within a mile of the fuel light coming on, so I'm pretty sure I could go between 100 and 120 (current tank is 61 mph)... but I wouldn't dare try it!! Once that last bar goes away, I get scared. Once I went about 30 miles with no bars and was a nervous wreck by the time I got to the station! Someday I'll bring a one-gallon gas can with me and I'll be more brave!!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:08 PM

Ended with 712.4 miles. 61.8 mpg. I'm happy!!! I sure don't like driving with zero fuel bars for too long. A little scary! I went 20 miles with zero bars.

Quick Reply: How far can you usually go on a tank of gas?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands