HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

how good is the HCH II OEM anti-theft system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Rookie Enthusiast
Default how good is the HCH II OEM anti-theft system?

hi all,

Portland is a great city in many ways, but we have a problem with high auto theft rates. I love the little blinking red lights that my 08 HCH provides to indicate the car is locked and the radio is 'secure', but how good is the OEM anti-theft system? Has anyone installed an aftermarket car alarm on their HCH II? Any thoughts about the need to do so?

thanks, Philip

Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: how good is the HCH II OEM anti-theft system?

Good insurance solves it for me

Old 12-14-2008, 07:11 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

I had an aftermarket alarm installed by the dealer before delivery. It wasn't primarily to prevent "auto-theft" if you mean someone stealing the whole car, but rather to discourage people from breaking into the car looking for valuables. Which they do frequently over here, but rarely on cars with alarm, they tend to pick the next car without alarm instead.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The HCHII's stock alarm seems to work as advertised: any opening without using the key (wihich has something within it transmitting a code) will trigger the alarm. For example, someone using a "Slim Jim", would set it off, I think.

We're still a little puzzled over it's logic though. Every once in a while we'll unlock the car, my wife will get in the car while I'm running a buggy back at the grocery store. When I get back and open a door, the alarm goes off. Just sometimes. Not exactly sure of the sequence of entries and key insertions that triggers this, keep meaning to try to figure it out.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-14-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: for continuity
Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am not sure about this but I was told you can't start the ICE without the keys that come with the car? IE will not hot wire start. H

Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Enthusiast

Greetings,
I had an aftermarket alarm installed on my HCH. It flashes a bright blue light when activated. Alarm is very sensitive so anyone messing with the car will set alarm off. For me it is a must in Los Angeles area. I figure that a thief would rather steal from or a vehicle that does not have an alarm system. I would recomend an aftermarket alarm. It migth even lower your insurance.
Damian

Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

Originally Posted by pcope
hi all,

Portland is a great city in many ways, but we have a problem with high auto theft rates. I love the little blinking red lights that my 08 HCH provides to indicate the car is locked and the radio is 'secure', but how good is the OEM anti-theft system? Has anyone installed an aftermarket car alarm on their HCH II? Any thoughts about the need to do so?

thanks, Philip
what anti-theft system? I have an AutoPage RS1000 remote start and security system. I could hand you the keys and you wouldn't be able to steal my car without the alarm remote. But the fact remains, if someone wants your car bad enough they'll just put it on a flatbed and drive it away. Also, you may have the best security system in the world and it wouldn't matter if it's not installed properly. Pay the extra money and have it done right by a true security professional.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Rookie Enthusiast

thanks for the feedback, everyone--

P