HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many forced regens is too many? (Experiencing 1-2x/day average)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many forced regens is too many? (Experiencing 1-2x/day average)

I've always wondered if the non-heat related recalibrations were the fault of some phantom power draw somewhere, and your car really sounds like that might be the case. Is there any chance you have a coin stuck in one of your power outlets, or that you had something wired in (like GPS) that could be drawing current when the car is off?

I understand that the power outlets are supposed to be off when your key isn't in one of the two on positions, but I recall my iPod being on a couple of times before keying in--which would indicate that it was getting power (or that I forgot to push stop the previous time).

Old 09-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How many forced regens is too many? (Experiencing 1-2x/day average)

Interesting thought .... seems logical that on the hour+ restart cycle the system might start out thinking the battery charge is same as when it was shut off, then discover within a mile or so that it isn't, triggering a recal.

People have posted about the 12V battery re-charging from the IMA battery and that sounds like it could draw enough to get the system out of synch in an hour. Of course, there are many electrical circuits that could be drawing juice with the car besides just leaving something plugged into a power port. Maybe I can convince the dealer to test for a drain on the 12V to see if that in turn is pulling the IMA below where the system thinks it should be?