HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Originally Posted by Valalvax
Not this time, I probably need it, if this doesn't help much I'll discharge after the holidays, for discharge need to charge, discharge, charge right?
Yep. You can expedite it by using the car to charge. Unfortunately, it requires reinstall and remove. Process as follows:

Put your HF DVM in 10A mode and connect in series, so you can measure current. Put a second DVM on the battery, so you can read voltage.

Use this table for recording Time, Volts, Amps. It computes the seconds, and I put sample times in. They need to be in the form of hh:mm:ss.

Key voltage points are 158.4V and 132V. You should attempt to enter these at whatever time they occur. NOTE: Voltage will start to drop faster once you're in the range of 145-158V. You should increase your observations in this range. Once below 145, use your judgement as the trip to 132 will be pretty quick. I prefer to attend the pack constantly below 145V.
  1. Grid charge to peak voltage for 8 hours, not to exceed 24 hours total.
  2. Let the pack rest for 1 hour.
  3. Record voltage immediately prior to discharge.
  4. Start a stopwatch and start discharge with high wattage bulbs.
  5. At the 10 second mark, record time, volts and Amps; record this current for 0:00:00.
  6. Record time, volts and amps at 1, 5, 10 and 15 minute marks. Continue recording data at 15 minute intervals.
  7. Continue discharge to 132V (1V/cell). With data to this point, you can compute your pack capacity. The sheet will do it for you.
  8. Swap to 60W bulbs and resume discharge. You don't need to record data as regularly, but you'll want to check it periodically. You can average the start/end current over an hour and get Ah. If the hour starts at .45A and the end of the hour is .39A, you've pulled another .42Ah out of the pack.
  9. The goal is to get about 4800mAh or 4.8Ah out of the pack. If you haven't reached that by 66V, punt and proceed with step 10. Even if you get 4800mAh discharge down to at least 100V.
  10. Grid charge the longer of 2 hours or 158.4V.
  11. Install in car. You do not need to install the cover. Just steer clear of the back seat.
  12. Conduct multiple 12V resets and idle charges to full SoC. Total charge time should be about 15-20 minutes or until the car terminates the charge very quickly (usually less than a minute). This will get you to 80% SoC
  13. You have the option of just buttoning it up and driving, or you can remove the pack and top it off with a 5 hour grid charge. If you top it off, let the pack rest 30 minutes before you engage the ignition. You don't need to do another 12V reset.

I recommend the car charge because the higher current charge from a deep discharge may help reactivate more material and improve capacity/lower internal resistance.

Alternatively, if you want to measure your new capacity, you can repeat the discharge test 1 hour after terminating the grid charge. Record the same times, volts and amps as the prior discharge. Once you're at 132V, you're done, and you can compare the two capacities.

If you do the second discharge test, get back on the road with a 1 hour grid charge and car charge via multiple 12V resets. No need to grid charge again after the car charge.

Steve

Last edited by S Keith; 11-23-2015 at 08:22 AM.