HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How much gas and money are you REALLY saving ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: How much gas and money are you REALLY saving ????

I'm sorry you see it that way Dan. I certainly did not intend to "educate" you.

In any case, I was just trying to be helpful by aluding to some of the obvious mistakes people make when they buy hybrids thinking that the car ought to be able to achieve the advertized mileage automagically on its own.

11.5 liters is not a high FE figure for a 3.x liter V6 powerplant. In fact the average consumption for a regular V6 accord is much higher especially in the winter months where it can reach and exceed 17l/100km. Heck, during the winter months my 2004 Acura EL with a 4 cylinder engine (1.7liters) consumes more than 13l/100km.

Additionally, you should not sue Honda for the advertized mileage rating. Instead if you want to be of fair principles and ethical as good engineers must be, you should sue NRCan. They are the ones who test the car and publish the ratings you complain about.

By the way, in case you are for real, where/when did you get your "degree"?

Then again, I could be wasting my time since you could be a "forum troll" looking for a cheap stirrup. Yes, I am probably wrong about this.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Energy Independence

Dan P,
I "see" your lack of courtesy.

If you'd read these boards even a little bit, before posting your callous response, you'd KNOW that MSantos is nothing if not knowledgable.

You ask for advice , then slam someone giving it. Get a grip, or get lost - that's my advice to you.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I didn't really buy mine to save money per se (although I went from consuming about 10 gallons/day to 3.5 gallons/day, so even at $3/gallon I was saving about $20/day) but it was to avoid having to stop for gas every other day - with the hybrid, I was filling up every 4th day.

That was when my commute was about 80 miles each way.

Now I am down to under 6 miles each way so I traded in my HCH II for a Full Size Crew Cab Pick Up 4x4! Figure I'll give someone else an opportunity to save money and the enviornment.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by gchu
I
Now I am down to under 6 miles each way so I traded in my HCH II for a Full Size Crew Cab Pick Up 4x4! Figure I'll give someone else an opportunity to save money and the enviornment.
Sorry for asking, but ...

How can a full size pickup be of any redeeming value to yourself or the environment in a way that the HCH-II could not? I hope you never hookup a scangauge to the pickup - the truth will floor you for sure.

Perhaps the pickup is the vehicle you really wanted anyway. Right? If so then your choice to trade in the HCH-II is understandable.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Sorry for asking, but ...

How can a full size pickup be of any redeeming value to yourself or the environment in a way that the HCH-II could not? I hope you never hookup a scangauge to the pickup - the truth will floor you for sure.

Perhaps the pickup is the vehicle you really wanted anyway. Right? If so then your choice to trade in the HCH-II is understandable.

Cheers;

MSantos
I had actually traded in my pick up before I picked up the HCH II. I know I'm only getting about 12 mpg now, but it's what I like to drive. I respect people who want to drive a hybrid as well. It's just not my preference.

Figure since there was such a wait for hybrids (I waited about 4 weeks when I originally got my HCH II) that I would add it back to the market place. The dealer did get rid of it quickly - less than 2 weeks. Hopefully the person who bought it is getting a lot more use than I would have now that my drive is so short.

Best of luck to you - it was fun with a hybrid playing the mpg game while I had it.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The best thing you can do for the environment is to shorten your commute. Driving around all day at 40mpg is not better than a short trip at 12mpg.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
The best thing you can do for the environment is to shorten your commute. Driving around all day at 40mpg is not better than a short trip at 12mpg.
Nope... the best thing you can do is park the hybrid and go sightseeing on a bike ride!

(My son and I at Oregon coast in mid-July!)