HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How to remove an interior trim item

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default How to remove an interior trim item

Greetings all

I installed a Sirius receiver dock in my HCH II 2 years ago....

I don't know how to insert a photo, but I (hope I) have attached one to help explain my question....

Bottom line: I'd like to temporarily remove the center consul so that I can correctly implement a firm attachment protocol from underneath said piece of trim.

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Attached Thumbnails How to remove an interior trim item-img_9407.jpg  
Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to remove an interior trim item

I can help getting the top two layers off:

The first thing off is the rectangular silver piece with the round hole for shifter: just gently lift at the corners with your finger tips and nails. It will pop off. Resist the urge to use a screwdriver: it is easy to chew up the edges.

The black piece underneath it comes off similarly. It has hidden clips but gentle lifting will pull the piece up and out. I can't recollect if there are also a few screws (not at home), but if there are they are obvious.

This piece snakes under the console a bit, and even when you've got all the tabs loose, it will seem impossible to extract. To help with this, shift into neutral (depress the white tab just above the shifter to allow you to shift, it's exposed once you take the first piece out). Once in Neutral (or D or S), it's a lot easier to work the piece out.

I believe it also helps to release the parking brake lever, for getting this second piece out. Of course, all of this could set you up for a roll down the driveway

Bottom line, be on level ground, and securely block the wheels.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by navguy12
Greetings all

I installed a Sirius receiver dock in my HCH II 2 years ago....

I don't know how to insert a photo, but I (hope I) have attached one to help explain my question....

Bottom line: I'd like to temporarily remove the center consul so that I can correctly implement a firm attachment protocol from underneath said piece of trim.

Thanks

Cheers

Mike
Check here
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/inter...own-guide.html

Old 11-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow!

Thanks!!!!!

Cheers

Mike

Old 11-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Operation was a success. Now it does not look quite "home made" anymore!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

BTW, if you want to be able to shift into neutral without key in the ignition, anytime: that second piece, the black one, has a little opening. From the factory there's a cover over the opening, and I believe there's a guidance in the Owners Manual to break that cover with a screw driver. In fact that doesn't work: the little cover has flexible tabs on the back, easiest accesable from the back.

Once the cover is off that opening, you can push the ignition key through to depress the white tab, which in-turn allows you to shift to neutral.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 11-07-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

post pic of completed project, pls.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

BTW, if you want to be able to shift into neutral without key in the ignition, anytime: that second piece, the black one, has a little opening. From the factory there's a cover over the opening, and I believe there's a guidance in the Owners Manual to break that cover with a screw driver. In fact that doesn't work: the little cover has flexible tabs on the back, easiest accesable from the back.

Once the cover is off that opening, you can push the ignition key through to depress the white tab, which in-turn allows you to shift to neutral.

Thanks for the tip...

post pic of completed project, pls.

Here they are attached. I used the supplied bracket that was to hook onto an A/C outlet and stripped it of all the loose apparatus. The result is a 90 degree hanger that is designed to safely screw to the back of the Sirius unit. Then, with the center trim removed, I was able to drill 2 holes and use stove bolts and nuts and washers to secure the hanger to the trim item.....

Cheers

Mike

Attached Thumbnails How to remove an interior trim item-img_9410.jpg   How to remove an interior trim item-img_9409.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here they are attached. I used the supplied bracket that was to hook onto an A/C outlet and stripped it of all the loose apparatus. The result is a 90 degree hanger that is designed to safely screw to the back of the Sirius unit. Then, with the center trim removed, I was able to drill 2 holes and use stove bolts and nuts and washers to secure the hanger to the trim item.....

Your project looks realy good.

Honda Canada does not offer satillite radio as an option here. I was lucky to find a Honda factory XM radio head unit and satillite box for sale on ebay. With a 2 day install and half of the interior taken out it was sucessfully installed. It looks totally factory plus the controls on the steering wheel work great.

Funny that Honda will not offer satellite radio here in Canada, when all the domestics plus Toyota does.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here is a link to the instructions from College Hills Honda if you want to try to install the factory XM radio unit. Just make sure that you find the right head unit for your car when looking on ebay. There are standard and pemium units.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...id/xmradio.pdf

Quick Reply: How to remove an interior trim item

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands