HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011
View Poll Results: Life with Software Update Recall?
Good
47.06%
Bad
52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

How's life with SW Recall Update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How's life with SW Recall Update?

I am very skeptical as to what the car displays as state-of-charge, vs actual state of charge. I suspect every time there is a recalibration, the computer establishes a new full charge target. Prior to selling ours I found recalibration came with increasing frequency, and near "full" charge could drop off very quickly, comparing to when the car was new.

I agree- the charge display on my car seems to have a random number generator in it as it bounces around, but generally stays in the upper half.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Newb

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Try using your 'S' gear for some down/uphills – you may find better battery management than before your update.
I don't have that many hills to climb or descend, mostly 1 hill that is about 1/2 mile long and not that steep, the rest is near level ground and rush hour highway (to go to work which constitute 75% of my yearly distance travelled). I've never had a battery recal since July 2008 when I bought the car new.

My battery charge is now pretty much as follows (level vs time):
0=0% 1=0% 2=0% 3=0.1% 4=75% 5=21% 6=2% 7=1% 8=0.9%

Whereas is used to be:
0=0% 1=0% 2=0% 3=0% 4=10% 5=30% 6=40% 7=18% 8=2%

All these figures are non-scientific and mostly "seat-of-the-pants" but you get the idea...

My general driving style (in the Civic) is: while accelerating, keep RPM at 1500-2000. Follow the speed limit (I must be the only one around here!) but drive on the highway at 90km/h (55 mph) in the right lane. Only pass if someone is driving obnoxiously slow(er) and doesn't seem like (s)he is going to accelerate in the near future. Glide for as long as possible, get the engine to turn off as soon as possible at traffic lights. Turn off the heater/AC when stopped whenever possible, block top and bottom front grilles when temps below 0C (32F), block only bottom grille when temps below 10C (50F). In the winter, park in the heated garage or use the block heater as much as possible.

I may not be in the top 10 hypermilers but for driving in "real-world" conditions here in Canada, I'm pretty proud of my 4.8l/100km yearly average. I don't think I could realistically do any better without putting my life in danger...

Steven, I'll try the "S" gear for hills and see what kind of difference I see in fuel consumption and battery charge levels.

Thanks,
Daniel

Last edited by dborn; 04-17-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Adding more info...
Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dborn
I don't have that many hills to climb or descend, mostly 1 hill that is about 1/2 mile long and not that steep, the rest is near level ground and rush hour highway (to go to work which constitute 75% of my yearly distance travelled). I've never had a battery recal since July 2008 when I bought the car new.

My battery charge is now pretty much as follows (level vs time):
0=0% 1=0% 2=0% 3=0.1% 4=75% 5=21% 6=2% 7=1% 8=0.9%

Whereas is used to be:
0=0% 1=0% 2=0% 3=0% 4=10% 5=30% 6=40% 7=18% 8=2%

All these figures are non-scientific and mostly "seat-of-the-pants" but you get the idea...

My general driving style (in the Civic) is: while accelerating, keep RPM at 1500-2000. Follow the speed limit (I must be the only one around here!) but drive on the highway at 90km/h (55 mph) in the right lane. Only pass if someone is driving obnoxiously slow(er) and doesn't seem like (s)he is going to accelerate in the near future. Glide for as long as possible, get the engine to turn off as soon as possible at traffic lights. Turn off the heater/AC when stopped whenever possible, block top and bottom front grilles when temps below 0C (32F), block only bottom grille when temps below 10C (50F). In the winter, park in the heated garage or use the block heater as much as possible.

I may not be in the top 10 hypermilers but for driving in "real-world" conditions here in Canada, I'm pretty proud of my 4.8l/100km yearly average. I don't think I could realistically do any better without putting my life in danger...

Steven, I'll try the "S" gear for hills and see what kind of difference I see in fuel consumption and battery charge levels.

Thanks,
Daniel
Excellent stats, thanks Daniel! I often wonder if I am too OCD, good to know I am not the only one, and in fact there may be others who are even more OCD

Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Newb

Originally Posted by btownmadness
Excellent stats, thanks Daniel! I often wonder if I am too OCD, good to know I am not the only one, and in fact there may be others who are even more OCD
He, he. That car does that to me... I also have a 92 Miata where I like to keep it between 3500rpm and the redline, don't care about the fuel consumption and generally have a blast. I only put 5000km a year on it so it's not such a big impact on the planet.

I think having OCD is probably a prerequisite to being a good hypermiler.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi dborn:
I have a 93 Miata as well. Great little car! Every spring I tell myself to sell it, but I can't. A blast on a nice day!!! H

Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Newb

Originally Posted by Harold
Hi dborn:
I have a 93 Miata as well. Great little car! Every spring I tell myself to sell it, but I can't. A blast on a nice day!!! H
Don't sell it!!! you will forever regret it and probably end up buying it back or another one!

I had one previously and sold it. From that point on, I was only dreaming of buying one back and did so 8 years later. This one I'm not parting with. (sorry for the OT)

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've got the update for two weeks now and I hate my car since.

They screw up my battery management. Before, It was maybe going on force recharge not even once a month on average. Now it's everytime I use the car, sometime twice.

Tipical scenario: I start the car and leave. No recharging occurs when I brake or slowdown until the battery is drain. Then the car go on force recharge and I don't get power from the ima system until the battery is full again. That scenario repeat itself again and again.

I'll try to have my dealer to re-install the previous software version. Hope they will accept.

Sorry, did'not wrote in english for a while.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Newb

Originally Posted by Soleil24
I'll try to have my dealer to re-install the previous software version. Hope they will accept.
I wouldn't get my hopes up...

I'll let other more knowledgeable members confirm this but, it might be worthwhile to try an IMA "reset". I believe it involves disconnecting the 12V battery for a certain number of minutes...

Salutations d'un confrere de la region!

Daniel

Last edited by dborn; 04-20-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Glad to see I'm not the only OCD Canuk in the group :

Total non-winter (any tank-full better than 5.0L/100km) liters: 3,181
Total non-winter (any tank-full better than 5.0L/100km) kms: 68,353.1
Total non-winter (any tank-full better than 5.0L/100km) average: 4.65L/100km

Total winter (any tank-full equal to or worse than 5.0L/100km) liters: 1,703
Total winter (any tank-full equal to or worse than 5.0L/100km) kms: 32,031
Total winter (any tank-full equal to or worse than 5.0L/100km) average: 5.32L/100km

Vehicle summary: 4884.031 Liters. 100,384.1 km. 4.865L/100km.

No software updates since purchased in April, 2007.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Newb

Interesting stats...
My fuel consumption spreadsheet already had 32 columns, You've just added a bunch more!

I couldn't resist trying the same exercise to be able to compare with your stats... I considered "winter months" to be December to end of March.

So here are my numbers:

Total non-winter (any tank-full better than 5.0L/100km) liters: 1,613
Total non-winter (any tank-full better than 5.0L/100km) kms: 36,738
Total non-winter (any tank-full better than 5.0L/100km) average: 4.40L/100km

Total winter (any tank-full equal to or worse than 5.0L/100km) liters: 1155
Total winter (any tank-full equal to or worse than 5.0L/100km) kms: 21,503
Total winter (any tank-full equal to or worse than 5.0L/100km) average: 5.39L/100km

Vehicle summary: 3,153.7 Liters. 66,152 km. 4.84L/100km.

1 software update since purchased in July, 2008. (you know, THAT one...)

Maybe we should start a new thread comparing some fuel stats before and after the update...?

Last edited by dborn; 04-25-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Corrected calculations...

Quick Reply: How's life with SW Recall Update?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands