HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011
View Poll Results: Life with Software Update Recall?
Good
47.06%
Bad
52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

How's life with SW Recall Update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How's life with SW Recall Update?

dborn:

Great numbers especially living in a cold climate.

1 software update since purchased in July, 2008. (you know, THAT one...)
I know all the arguments for and against. I'm not doing mine because everything runs perfectly and I will not rock the boat.......I do 'baby' the car when I drive it, so perhaps that adds to battery stability....who knows....I still have 29,000 km remaining on the battery warranty. I really hope I never have to exercise it. Since I will not entertain a new vehicle until this one is 10 years and 250,000 km old, I still want 5 years and 11 months out of the battery.

Worst case scenario: I spend $3K out of pocket for a new battery prior to the car reaching my intended milestone. $3K still way cheaper than dishing out $$$$$$$ for a new car.

Maybe we should start a new thread comparing some fuel stats before and after the update...?
That would be a great idea.....

Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had the updates and I find it does not hurt your FE. I believe all it does is manage the system better. I took a 60+ kil. out and back via same route drive Sunday, and when I arrived home I was at 3.2 ltr. per hundred or 75.5 mpg US. 63 kilometers driven. Speeds under 80 K's and using C.C. I would post pics. ,but haven't a clue how to. H

Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Newb

Done. Fuel consumption poll

Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Newb

My original OEM Dunlop tires were shot after 30,000km (19,000 mi) due to the camber problem (the 2008's have the corrected parts, right.) So I bought 4 new tires (the Yokohama dbSuper e-Specs) and front/rear camber kits and a proper alignment (and set everything to zero: camber & toe). That cost a pretty penny.

I notice now after being off the winter tires for the first time since the update that my battery SoC is much more in the 5/8 to 7/8 range (instead of the 4/8 range) so it seems that the combination of LRR tires and warmer weather is helping the battery maintain some higher charge levels.

By the way, so far love the tires, they're not a quiet as I had hoped but probably inflating them to 44 psi is not helping. Oh well...

Edit: Nevermind about the battery SoC, it lasted for about two weeks and now is back to 4/8 for most of the time. Needless to say, I can't figure out what makes this car tick anymore...

Last edited by dborn; 05-13-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Update...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

My experience, let's see...(1) less overall electric engine assist. Off the line, a little less throttle response. (2) battery status shows quicker, much quicker charges, and when full, the display still shows it is charging (seen when letting off throttle). Then, the next day, for example, moments after starting out, the charge status drops to two bars, and i'm driving solely on the dinky gas engine. (3) Accelleration plateaus sooner, and sometimes when heavy footing it like getting onto the freeway, sometimes, there is no electric assist!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCHRobert
My experience, let's see...(1) less overall electric engine assist. Off the line, a little less throttle response. (2) battery status shows quicker, much quicker charges, and when full, the display still shows it is charging (seen when letting off throttle). Then, the next day, for example, moments after starting out, the charge status drops to two bars, and i'm driving solely on the dinky gas engine. (3) Accelleration plateaus sooner, and sometimes when heavy footing it like getting onto the freeway, sometimes, there is no electric assist!
Exactly the same as mine. My car who already was not an exciting car to drive now become a frustrating car to drive. No power when you need it, You never know when you start form a stop or a light if you'll get assist or not. I'm starting to think I should change my car and forget that dream of saving the environment... I'll get a Challenger with an Hemi... Should be more fun to drive... Thank you Honda, you really did a mess with my car...

Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

I, too, think a change is in store for me...car-wise!

Old 05-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

:Additionally, my engine now fast idles (never did before, even in winter of Northern California), and will idle lower at stop and in gear. It idles low enough, around 600 RPMs with some roughness.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thats really sad, sorry, my post update experience is the oppisite of yours, the battery charges faster stays in the middle of the charge range 4-7 bars, there is more assist up to 30 mph then ever (I try to keep the tach at or just below 2,000 rpm) I have had assist as low as 3 bars, I have not, so far dropped below 3 bars.
I am finding the re-cals "softer" where it would weekly drop to 1 bar, no assist, fast idle and no auto stop for 5-6 miles before jumping to full charge, it now will every now and then drop to 3 bars, still offer assist if needed, and be back up to 7-8 bars within a couple of miles....I have only noticed it when the car would not auto stop when it was warm enough to do so.
I am not sure why this is affecting cars so differently, temp, driving style, battery condition...I don't know...I am a fairly easy driver, as mentioned I try to keep my acceleration below 2K but when I get on the freeway I give it all it has (mpg goes to a couple of bars, assist goes to max) I don't worry that much about the battery level as long as it is over 4 I am good, I do not try to keep it maxed out.
I live in a climate that gets hot in the summer but rarely exceeds 100 degrees, it gets cold in the winter but rarely below -10 degrees (f) we have 2-3 mos hot, 3-4 mos warm, 2-3 cool and 3-4 cold....I rarely use freeways and I rarely exceed the speed limit or do jack rabbit starts...usually I have 1 or 2 passengers and 1 or 2 dogs, I do use the heat in winter (sometimes with the a/c) I use the a/c in summer.