HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Hybrid 12 v battery not charging

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Hybrid 12 v battery not charging

So about a year ago i purchased a honda civic hybrid 2007 it was my first car in a city where have no family i was just happy to have a car about 6 months after i purchased the car my check engine light came on and the IMA light shortly after. They would go on and off so i still drove the car up until it died on me coming from work i replaced the 12v battery and it started up fine in February i started having to charge my 12v every night if i wanted to get to work in the morning i took it to the dealership WHERE they confirmed i needed a hybrid battery so i sucked it up and purchased a replacement and got it installed earlier this week evem though my check light and IMA light went off my 12V BATTERY LIGHT IS STILL ONNN and they wheel locks up and radio turns off and on i replaced and NOTHING!?! i am very discouraged and have exhausted allf of my resources on this car i have a 2yr old and this is our only means of transportation 😢 im thinking maybe its a faulty dc-to-dc converter but im clueless at this point i really need my car PLEASE HELP

Last edited by Psteen; 05-02-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid 12 v battery not charging

Tell us more about this "replacement" battery.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased it from falcon but am now having doubts after reading some threads on here i took it to autozone unlike last time no codes suggest the battery is bad just that i needed a new 12 volt i bought one and it did nothing

Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 PM

Uh huh. That would be my suspicion, but CEL and IMA light would be on.

Confirm CEL and IMA light illuminate at Key ON but prior to start.

How old is the 12V?
What Brand?
What size?
How many times has it been run down to the point that it wouldn't start the car?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:45 PM

There's always this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...15/index5.html

Old 05-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast

Its from Napa im not sure of the size i can get the exact info once i get off of work but thats the thing the battery is brand new and has only been used ONCE from the time i left the store and as soon as i reached my street my lights in the car started to flicker and it became nearly impossible to steer and the radio shut off i went back outside to start it today and again no light except the battery light could my dc-to-dc be the problem? Could the hybrid battery be improperly installed?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Enthusiast

Is some type of in-car charger i can buy for the 12 volt to keep it charged?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Psteen
Its from Napa im not sure of the size i can get the exact info once i get off of work but thats the thing the battery is brand new and has only been used ONCE from the time i left the store and as soon as i reached my street my lights in the car started to flicker and it became nearly impossible to steer and the radio shut off i went back outside to start it today and again no light except the battery light could my dc-to-dc be the problem? Could the hybrid battery be improperly installed?
Brand new 12V batteries can be dead right off the shelf. I've seen brand new optima batteries at 8.5V (ruined). A new, fully charged battery should give you at least 30 miles (likely much more) of driving before it craps out.

You may have a DC-DC converter issue, but I'm not convinced you have a good 12V to start with.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Psteen
Is some type of in-car charger i can buy for the 12 volt to keep it charged?
Nothing I've ever heard of.