HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

I bought Khumo Echo Solis kr22 tires

Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default I bought Khumo Echo Solis kr22 tires

I bought these to replace the horrid Dunlop tires that came on the car, I have driven them about 400 miles now, I am VERY impressed.
they are much quieter and smoother I would not think it would matter much but, they are.
I am running them at 40 psi (rated 44) I have taken a small mileage hit but, to be expected as the week before replacement was kind of warm in the 50's the week I had them put on it droped into the 40's and I had taken my grill block out for the warming temps the week before.
on my most current tank I am getting 43+ mpg like I said not bad for new tires, rain and cooler temps.
I suspect in the long run I will be getting the same or somewhat better mileage.
They have a 100,000 mile tread life warranty on them and by the way, they handle very well, hold straight, seem to have good traction in the rain....I am actually excited to see how they do in the snow.
I am about to take a road trip, lotsa miles at higher speed in a warmer climate...I will report back after that but so far, I am pleased....by the way, they are lightweight as well (1or2 lbs heaver than the Dunlop)....the salesman seemed quite supprised when he picked it up to show it to me...I bought at Discount tire & they had to be ordered.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Default Re: I bought Khumo Echo Solis kr22 tires

Well, as I said I would here is a follow up on my Khumo tires......oh, well, I had driven them around town about a month before taking a massive 2,800 mile road trip to so cal, in town I have found them to be quiet, smooth and much better mannered than the Dunlops, I also notice pretty good mileage, it dropped a bit, but not so much the weather might have been responsible...grip in rain is great.
I took them on a trip to Ca...my mileage was not great but, I think there were many other factors involved, driving 70 mph, 500 miles in the mountains changing from 2000 ft, to 1,000 ft, 6,000 ect...then in Californias central valley, horrid headwind (both ways of course) then of course there was that 2 hour bit of rush hour traffic....but overall, did better than 40 mpg...so not too bad...now that I am back home, I seem to be getting about 44+ mpg which is where I was with the Dunlops so...what can I say, smoother, much less noise, good wet grip (actually hit a hail storm in the Central valley at 70mph, cars were sliding off the road, I was fine) I am very happy with these tires...

Old 06-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for reporting back on this, Bob. I will keep your note in mind when I need new tires .. I don't like the SP31s at all but have lot of life left in them given how I got new ones through partial warranty after I got work done for TSB 08-001. --ag

Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey Bob:
Your numbers are much lower than I am getting!For instance I drove to Colville Wa. just north of you yesterday and my FE was 63.2 mpg after 110.5 miles trip. Granted the speed limit is only 55 mph and I realize you would be going much faster than that on your way to Cal., but that is 20 mpg. difference! I am waiting for a Scan- gauge to arrive any day now. Hope this will help me get some 70+ numbers. I took pictures of the panel to verify my numbers but cant figure out how to attach them. PM your e-mail and I will send them to you. H

Old 06-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Oh and I should mention I am running Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max at 40lbs.+ 38lbs. These are way better than the OME stuff that came with the car in all aspects! H

Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM

I stongly considered the Goodyear until I realized it is actually Goodyear/Dunlop...rejected.
I have to admit I was disapointed with the mileage on my trip at first, but, considering there were 30-40 mph headwinds and I-5 for over 1,000 miles of the trip, rain, hail mountain grades even some hail I am not too shocked....my worst mileage was just under 40 mpg in the height of the wind in the central valley, I watched my mileage fall from 49mpg to 41 mpg within 100 miles when I hit the I-84 headwinds in the Columbia gorge. my best was 56 (I lost that reciept so I dont have the exact #'s) when I did pick up a tailwind in Oregon & eastbound on I-84. My overall mileage for the trip was 44.4...the Kuhmo's are delivering mileage consistant with my past experience....by the way, I have clocked 70 mpg on that same streach of road, rural, fairly flat, no stop and go 55 is easy to maintain :-)...now, come drive in Spokane rush hour 7:30-8:30 a.m. & 4:30-5:30 pm & lets see how you do :-)

Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Yes I know all about rush hrs.. I spent 20 years driving into Vancouver. I find Spokane mild in comparison. LA is down right crazy. Those are still pretty good #'s for the conditions I suppose! And your correct about nth. 395 being a good FE road. H

Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM

I have been to Vancouver, and it is no fun either...I have to tell you, LA is mileage hell
:-)...the local access road by my dad's house actually had a 60mph speed limit on it :-( (it was 40 when I was a child)...