HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

I installed a lawn mower battery- works great

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default I installed a lawn mower battery- works great

Has anyone else done this? My original battery died after 105K miles.

As it died i learned a lot bout the charging system. I drained it dead several times (i have a problem leaving lights on)

I jumped it many times. One time i jumped it with just an extension cord. It only need a good 12 volts, at about 3 amps- just enough to fire up the computer and get the battery pack to spin the motor.

So, when it was time to buy a battery i found one that fit for $106 (autozone) it was 425 CCA

Next to it was a lawn mower battery- also 425 CCA- only $42 - I modified the terminals and works great.

The Dodge Neo guy use lawn tractor batteies all the time to move the battery to the firewall and accomidate a cold air intake- It seems to work for them.

If it ever gets cold enough to need the conventional starter I'll probably be out of luck but where I live we those temps are prohibited by law.