HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA Battery Warranty Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Warranty Replacement

Update....I went to the dealer that said no charge for evaluation. Well, that was a misunderstanding...they said $135 and I agreed to it.

I learned that here are two kinds of IMA batteries, one has a 9 year, the other has an 11 year warranty. Mine is 9 year, which means it expires next week.

Battery checked out OK, they say it's mostly a problem of our using the car so little. I think I may well opt for reconditioning, but honestly, our mileage is barely down, so I won't rush, although the recals are a concern.

They did the whole eval...everything else was fine on the car (although I need to change brake fluid and eventually get front suspension bearing replaced), and then the service writer said--that was a misunderstanding on the price but I'm going to charge you nothing.

I've just switched my loyalty, and I'll give them great reviews: Dick Hannah Honda, Vancouver, WA

Old 10-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What was the capacity reported by HDS?

Low miles is an issue, but you barely qualify. Even as little as 10 miles/day is more than enough. Repeated sitting for days/weeks at a time is the killer.

I would encourage you to pursue a hybrid automotive Prolong reconditioning package the moment your warranty is up. Given that your recals are not impacting your mileage, and you haven't coded yet, there's a good change you could experience years of extended operation.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks again, S Keith. We typically use the car pretty minimally, perhaps 5 miles 3 or 4 days per week, 10-15 maybe once a week. That's how we came up with 52K miles in 9 years.

I pulled up our In-Drive report (one of those OBD monitors as part of our car insurance) for this past month; we did have one trip over the Coast Range to the coast this past month, about 160 miles. Real-world based on gasoline purchases is a bit less, I think, but we're not suffering:
MPG

Combined 43
Manufacturer Rating
Combined: 42.5

City 40
Manufacturer Rating
City: 40

Highway 56
Manufacturer Rating
Highway: 45

---They had their own generic report, I'll ask if the service guy can give me the % from HDS.
Was shopping at pharmacy the other day, and I'm pleased I didn't need to buy a product labeled Prolong, but I suspect there's something different my car needs...
Late update: checked with service manager. He said that percentage on HDS is just the percentage of charge, like the green bars on my instrument panel. Presumably, I can take his word on this...he does seem like a good guy and straightforward.

Last edited by chkuttner; 10-21-2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-21-2016, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by chkuttner
Thanks again, S Keith. We typically use the car pretty minimally, perhaps 5 miles 3 or 4 days per week, 10-15 maybe once a week. That's how we came up with 52K miles in 9 years.

I pulled up our In-Drive report (one of those OBD monitors as part of our car insurance) for this past month; we did have one trip over the Coast Range to the coast this past month, about 160 miles. Real-world based on gasoline purchases is a bit less, I think, but we're not suffering:
MPG

Combined 43
Manufacturer Rating
Combined: 42.5

City 40
Manufacturer Rating
City: 40

Highway 56
Manufacturer Rating
Highway: 45

---They had their own generic report, I'll ask if the service guy can give me the % from HDS.
Was shopping at pharmacy the other day, and I'm pleased I didn't need to buy a product labeled Prolong, but I suspect there's something different my car needs...
Late update: checked with service manager. He said that percentage on HDS is just the percentage of charge, like the green bars on my instrument panel. Presumably, I can take his word on this...he does seem like a good guy and straightforward.
Service manager is completely wrong. Being a "good guy" doesn't impart knowledge. He's probably just ignorant. MOST service "managers" or non-mechanic type service people (people who sell and schedule service), don't know squat beyond the tactics for upsell on unneeded or marginal services.

The only ones with any technical knowledge have been in the trenches and done the work - most haven't.

Attached is a sample printout from a recent diagnostic.

IMA Battery Usable Capacity: 3%

This car was hurting! Recals every 10-15 minutes and an IMA light every other day at least.

You paid for a diagnostic. You're entitled to that information even if they have to check it again to give it to you. It takes less than 5 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails IMA Battery Warranty Replacement-hds_output.png  

Last edited by S Keith; 10-21-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow...they had a fancy online diagnostic report (as well as a printout with the same information), but it was about as informative as a dashboard "idiot light," telling me just the general things a hands-on mechanic would find, e.g., needs new engine air filter, sometime will need a front journal bushing or whatever it's called.

The bad news is that I didn't get a report like the one you attach, good news is that they didn't charge me anything. I texted the service guy back and all I got was the more general info I posted before. I'm not sure if I'll get anything by pushing any further with him--but S Keith is suggesting either:

1) They didn't really do the HDS evaluation
or
2) They did and they're holding out on me
or
3) This guy really doesn't know much, even if he's personable

I'm really tempted to email him a copy of that printout you attached to your message, and ask for similar for me...that make sense?

Old 10-22-2016, 08:35 PM

Since you didn't pay anything for it, you're not entitled to it. I thought you paid $135. I missed the part where you said they didn't charge you.

That's a printout of the HDS Electric Powertrain / IMA DataList