HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA Not Assisting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question IMA Not Assisting...

I was driving from Fayetteville, NC to Charlotte yesterday. It was a 3 hour drive. On the way to Fayetteville, I was able to hit 60.5 mpg with no problems of any kind. However, on the drive back my battery was down to 4 bars and forced regen often. This was also due to the fact that there were a lot of hills to climb. I also found on 2 or 3 occasions that my IMA was not assisting, especially from a complete stop. When I got home my mpg was 59.4. It was like driving a different car.

Has anyone else had issues with their IMA not assisting? I've had it happen a couple of times before on some commutes around town. Note: I also have my DC cap removed to get the new one installed tomorrow. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I usually have my kids in the rear seats, but on this drive I had one adult.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Not Assisting...

I have found on very long trip there will be an advantage due to overall decreae in total elevation accomplished or the reverse in the droping to a lower elevation. this being said somtimes with a lot of hill climbiing i suspect battery temperature may be up where the software my limit assist until the battery temperature decreases. This happens, in my experience with a lot of steep but short hill cliimbs.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Not Assisting...

Originally Posted by greenhome
I have found on very long trip there will be an advantage due to overall decreae in total elevation accomplished or the reverse in the droping to a lower elevation. this being said somtimes with a lot of hill climbiing i suspect battery temperature may be up where the software my limit assist until the battery temperature decreases. This happens, in my experience with a lot of steep but short hill cliimbs.
That's a good point greenhome. I was driving with the AC on about 74 degrees with 2 other adults and one small child. I don't usually drive those kind of hills and I definitely don't drive with the AC on. All these factors may have had a hand in it.

Even today driving on the highway with the AC on (my wife was with me) at 7 battery bars it still wanted to force regen. It's rather irritating.