HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Jump starting 06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Jump starting 06 HCH

I don't have a problem now but I want to understand this system when i do accidentally drain the 12V battery- I have children- it will happen.

I've googled around and read all sorts of horror stories about people frying things when they jumped their HCH.

My 95 Cabrio was apparently sensitive to jump start issues so whenever i had to jump it I would disconnect the battery and charge it from another vehicle and then reconnect it and and turn the other vehicle off. That way the system was never getting additional charging voltage from an outside source.

Any issues with just disconnecting the battery?

Any other missing pieces to this puzzle?

thanks

Dave

Old 09-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Jump starting 06 HCH

I don't believe there's anything unusual jump starting a Civic Hybrid. Obviously the 12 volt is just supplying "intelligence", the big IMA battery turns the engine over, but still the 12 volt is needed. Be very careful to not reverse leads, I believe that has fried electronics.

Crack the Owners Manual? If I'm not mistaken the procedure is outlined in there.