HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Just bought a 2008 HCH, what are the top five things I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Just bought a 2008 HCH, what are the top five things I should know?

Hi,

I just bought a 2008 HCH yesterday (taking delivery tomorrow!) from a Honda dealership, so it's a certified used car. I've been browsing this site and a few others to figure out what I need to know going forward, so I thought I'd ask here.

So far, I know I need to figure out if the rear control arm has been replaced, and I probably need to get some better tires before winter. What else do you think is important to consider?

I'm also curious to know if there's a best practice for resetting the car's various meters. That might be something I'll find in the instruction manual, but I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!

- Kevin

Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought a 2008 HCH, what are the top five things I should know?

So far, I know I need to figure out if the rear control arm has been replaced
If your tire wear seems ok I wouldn't get to excited about that. We've never done anything to our control arms, no problems with tires. It might be an issue, but don't assume it has to done.

and I probably need to get some better tires before winter
Check the tread depth of what you've got, and post what the tires are that are on now. They're likely the OEM tires, and if the mileage is not too high will serve you fine for another year or two.

If they are down to 4/32" tread depth remaining, considering the time of the year, it might be time. If a bit more tread depth, but your area gets a fair bit of snow, you might consider getting separate snow tires on steel rims. Regular Civic rims are your best bet.

Snow tires are almost guaranteed to impact mileage due to higher rolling resistance, that's a given. But if you're looking to replace the OEM's with something comparable, I would research the Low Rolling Resistance options, or again you will take a mileage hit.

We just replace our OEM Bridgestone Insignia SE200-02 with Bridgestone Ecopia EP20. They are described as LRR, have identical tread pattern to the OEM, and worked out well so far. We got ours at Costco.

Regarding resets, most is done via persistant press of the SEL/RESET button. First mention on page 64 of our '06 Owners Manual. Maintenance Minder resetting is described on page 179, at least in our '06 manual.

What else do you think is important to consider?
1. Make sure you're registered with Honda, so that you will get relevant notifications.

2. There's a very recent software update just released that likely applies to your vehicle. It changes the car's behaviour, attempting to protect/restore the IMA battery. For starters check with the dealership; they can see if you have it.

Then, determine if you want the update. There is a lot of debate on the subject. FWIW, we've got it. My thinking is that:

a) It might help
b) Not getting it might be an argument for Honda, to disallow a warranty claim if our IMA battery fails.

3. Just generally look over the usual mechanical maintenance issues. The Owners Manual spells it out. See if you can get info regarding the car's service history. Check the current state of the Maintenance Minder (check in Owners Manual). Have a peak at the engine and cabin air filters. Check fluid levels, and so on.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 03-12-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 AM

Most of all, just enjoy your new ride and the great FE you should achieve. H

Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

I would highly recommend you find all of the Honda Technical Service Bulletins for your car. If you experience any of the issues, get them fixed while under warranty. Even if a TSB falls outside of warranty, it clearly states the dealership can contact the Honda zone director to get approval for a goodwill repair where Honda will pay the dealership a reduced amount and there's no cost to you.

Regarding the control arms, I had bought my 2006 HCH certified pre-owned in 2008 with 68,000 miles. I had to pay out of pocket for the control arms because I didn't notice the issue until after the 12m/12k limited full warranty. This is because it can typically take about 15,000 miles before you hear the significant road noise and notice the cupping on the tires. I believe it is a defect and you should get them inspected while under warranty.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast

Get ready for Hybrid Battery problems.

Oh Welcome to the "your screwed world"

Old 02-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Soar grapes with all cars! H

Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 AM
Veteran Mechanic

Lol treat your battery well and most likely it will return the favor. Don't let it run under 2 bars or keep it fully charged and it will last for a good long time….also never let your car sit longer than a couple weeks without driving it… that's another huge killer of hybrids...

Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jamchel
Lol treat your battery well and most likely it will return the favor. Don't let it run under 2 bars or keep it fully charged and it will last for a good long time….also never let your car sit longer than a couple weeks without driving it… that's another huge killer of hybrids...

Well said and right on the money.
its too bad many never think bout it but there's mountains of good advice and plenty of examples of how to do it right. there's no good reason for bad advice unless you want new hch owners to repeat your misery. look for advice from those who got it right and you will be smiling for many years to come too.

ks

Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Good reason to get the latest up-dates. The IMA is managed well with these! At least I feel it is. Without the up-dates it is very difficult to keep the SOC at ideal? H

Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

yeah... and careful what you call a recal cause from what I read they don't happen for the same reasons they hapened before the updates. seems they will be the norm even for people who got a new ima battery. it all makes sense to me and my results make me love this car even more.

ks

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2008 HCH, what are the top five things I should know?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands