HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Just bought a 2008 HCH, what are the top five things I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought a 2008 HCH, what are the top five things I should know?

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Driver behaviour will effect mileage, for sure. But it should not toast the battery.

its already old news that the honda design is not bullet proof cause thats what the hch experts been saying for years; but they also said the driver can do a lot to make sure the battery is not killed to early.
I know whats like cause I used to drive my hch like a know it all jackass, cause a car is a car. sure stupid me for thinking that way. like others the dealer never told we how to drive the hch properly and then it took some reading and a lot of learning to figure out why they build and sell the hch with all those hybrid gauges???
what I am saying is that if it works for me and others like me then its gotta work for anybody who's got half a brain and money tied up in the car. just whining and complaining is not gonna fix anything unless thats all we do when things dont go our way.

ks

Old 03-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jamchel
Well the update in my opinion neuters the car, and makes it much harder to abuse the battery. I have driven them with and without the update now and my butt dyno can tell a difference. I'm guessing a solid 12 sec 0- 60 after and my car can pull 9.7 sec 0-60's right now I want to stay under 10 for these nasty southern ca. onramps
Given the hit that the firmware "update" has exacted on the HCH's performance and fuel economy, I wonder whether this might also affect the HCH's qualification as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV.)

Any California HCH owners out there who can figure out how to broach this with the California Air Resources Board (CARB?)

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

Be very, very careful with tire replacement. Several users have reported substantial (4-8 mpg decrease) if replacement tires are not low rolling resistance.

At 45K I replaced with the same tire that came with my car when new. Dunlop AS31. I have been very happy with the replacement tires.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Veteran Mechanic

Originally Posted by srockgibson
Be very, very careful with tire replacement. Several users have reported substantial (4-8 mpg decrease) if replacement tires are not low rolling resistance.

At 45K I replaced with the same tire that came with my car when new. Dunlop AS31. I have been very happy with the replacement tires.

I agree with this 100% my hybrid came with stock 2009si rims and at 37 pounds each plus the tire I know i'm losing over 6 MPG. I did the math and it breaks even to buy new rims and tires now with gas at 3.89 per gallon, I wish I had someone to trade the rims with but nobody wants these sadly.

I guess I will wear out the tires then look to buy ultra lightweight racing rims the ones that weigh in at about 14 lbs for a 15" rim and then some LRR tires. I can't wait to see my FE skyrocket! Now to find some mountains so i can scrub the rubber off of these tires! .. j/k ....

Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by srockgibson

Clearly that's your fault for not driving the car properly. You should be sitting on the edge of the seat and leaning AGAINST turns. Be sure not to turn the wheel too much during the first SIX MONTHS of driving on the new tires, because the new tires need to LEARN YOUR DRIVING PATTERNS and be programmed accordingly...otherwise your new tires will go bad very quickly and it will be your fault for driving your car just like any other car.

Fackin retawded...that's what this is.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your not very helpful but youre still funny.

anyways, that's what many people and the mpg experts say and I can vouch for that. that's why my replacement tires are the same kind the car had on when it was new. don't forget to air them up for much better mpgs too.

ks