HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Leather Seats Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM
RXN
Enthusiast
Default Leather Seats Help

Hi all, Newbie here. Long time lurker.

We purchased a HCHII Galaxy Grey w/ Navi yesterday . Now wifey wants leather seats installed since our interior is tan/ivory (which I like btw) and can easily get dirty.

We have a lot of kids in our family that can easily dirty our seats and that's the main reason why we want to switch them out from cloth seats to leather.

I've been searching posts all over the internet and I decided to go with Katzkin seats. My problem now is finding a shop that can install these seats and finding the correct color scheme to match the cloth seats. I'm trying to minimize our budget to under $1K if possible. The seats alone are $735.

If you guys have any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it. BTW, We're in zip code 90041 (Northeast Los Angeles).

Thanks in advance!

PS-If you guys have photos of your leather seats similar to the one that I want please feel free to post them. I want to have a better idea of what I'm getting myself into . Thanks again.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Leather Seats Help

Any automotive upholstery shop should be able to do it for $1000 or less. Search your Yellow pages.

There has been one DIY'er here, try the search feature here and in the Share (photo) section.

nf

Old 06-27-2008, 03:25 PM
RXN
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. I got a hold of Harrison from Ayar Inc. (http://www.ayarinc.com/) recommended by someone from this forum. The price that I was quoted was $982 for the basic 60/40 flat color seats including installation and they go to your place to install it, which I think is pretty neat (only in SD area).

Do you guys have any experiences with this company?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RXN
Thanks for the response. I got a hold of Harrison from Ayar Inc. (http://www.ayarinc.com/) recommended by someone from this forum. The price that I was quoted was $982 for the basic 60/40 flat color seats including installation and they go to your place to install it, which I think is pretty neat (only in SD area).

Do you guys have any experiences with this company?
I was considering having leather seats installed, the dealer was going to charge $1000. I have the dark blue interior and like it; these are the first cloth seats I've had in 20+ years. One thing to remember is that the side air bags come out of the seats and anything you install has to be able to handle the air bags properly.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:32 AM
RXN
Enthusiast

The kit that I bought (Katzkin) doesn't cover the side airbags http://s142.katzkin.com/Pattern%20Da...eets/EHO37.xls. The installer (Ayar Inc.) is suppose to come in today to install the seats and they informed me that they are aware of the side airbags and assured me that they will not be covered. I'll try to post pics when they're done.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would look into something from Wet Okole if you are going to drop that kind of dough. I hate leather, but understand the desire to not look at footprints, juice stains, whatever.

It will be cheaper, and more comfortable too.