HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Loud Buzzing Noise in the Front? Defective wheel bearing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.
Default Loud Buzzing Noise in the Front? Defective wheel bearing!

I just had to take in my 2006 HCH II in today for a second service visit to the dealer (the first was a week ago when the driver's window came out of its tracking).

I had begun to notice a loud buzzing noise that increased as my car's speed increased, but not with increasing rpms. It sounded almost like a bad muffler, but the noise was coming from the front of the car.

It turns out one of the front wheel's bearings has gone bad, something that should happen only at the end of a car's life, certainly not at 6500 miles. I will have to wait a few days for the part to arrive because the car is a new model. At least I can still drive the car (not a safety issue as yet).

I thought fellow owners would like to know!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Loud Buzzing Noise in the Front? Defective wheel bearing!

Just for giggles:

Has the vehicle been involved in a collision (even a small rim only collision) in the front corners? Large drop pot-holes??

As some technicians will say, accellerated wear on the bearings can occur if the conditions favor it - The above are just some of the most common.

Then it can also be a manufacturing, assembly or design defect - at which point it becomes a general concern worth looking into. So far (as of today), no services bulletins appear to have been issued on this problem.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it. My girlfriend's Volvo ate one at 40,000mi. Just be glad it's a low-impact problem and under warranty!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

Well, I have gone over a couple of major pot-holes, but the buzzing happened quite a bit afterwards, but of course the problem wouldn't have have shown up immediately.

I'm just hoping I didn't get a "lemon" version of the HCHII: first the side window problem, now this buzzing, and then the brake "farting" noise which several others have noted.

I want to be a devoted Honda owner (as I have been in the past), so I hope I'm not disappointed.

Aneil

Originally Posted by msantos
Just for giggles:

Has the vehicle been involved in a collision (even a small rim only collision) in the front corners? Large drop pot-holes??

As some technicians will say, accellerated wear on the bearings can occur if the conditions favor it - The above are just some of the most common.

Then it can also be a manufacturing, assembly or design defect - at which point it becomes a general concern worth looking into. So far (as of today), no services bulletins appear to have been issued on this problem.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

I just got the car back -- they decided to replace bearings in both front wheels just to be sure. No more noise, and Honda received a warranty expense for $440.

Aneil

Old 09-19-2006, 07:27 PM
'06 HCH Owner

Originally Posted by mishra
I just got the car back -- they decided to replace bearings in both front wheels just to be sure. No more noise, and Honda received a warranty expense for $440.

Aneil
Mishra,

Sorry, it is off topic, but do you work in the RTP? I just noticed you are in Durham. I also work in Durham, but live in Raleigh on the Raleigh/Durham line, Brier Creek area, you are probably familiar with it. I see a HCH II on TW Alexander every once in a while.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

Morgan:

Actually, I'm a professor at Wake Forest U. in Winston-Salem, but we live in Durham while my wife is earning her Ph.D. at UNC. That is one reason I bought the HCHII -- to save on gas during my twice-weekly commutes back to the Triad.

Maybe we can grab lunch sometime and compare driving notes!

Aneil Mishra

Old 09-19-2006, 07:43 PM
'06 HCH Owner

Originally Posted by mishra
Morgan:

Actually, I'm a professor at Wake Forest U. in Winston-Salem, but we live in Durham while my wife is earning her Ph.D. at UNC. That is one reason I bought the HCHII -- to save on gas during my twice-weekly commutes back to the Triad.

Maybe we can grab lunch sometime and compare driving notes!

Aneil Mishra
Oh okay, just curious, you are the first I have noticed on here from the area. You do have quite a comute! Good reason to own a HCH!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

I just took mine in today. I thought that it was a bad wheel bearing in the right front. REALLY loud starting at 48MPH, but noticeable at other speeds. Louder when turning left and would get loud and soft as the front end went over "floating" bumps.

Got the call later this afternoon. The front right was bad, but the front left was also making noise. Both are being replaced.

BTW, I have 27K miles on mine, but the noise started getting bad about 5K miles ago...

Old 02-09-2007, 09:38 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Still don't have the car back. Got the wheel bearing in on Thursday, but they tried to put it on wrong and it wouldn't seat. Ordered a new wheel bearing, and today they opened the box to find a timing belt.

Oh well...I had a loaner Element, but told them I needed a vehicle that seated 5 (four kids). So, now I am driving a Ridgeline. VERY NICE.