HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

LRR Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Default LRR Tires

I've been looking for Low Rolling Resistance tires. After reading reviews on Tire rack, I've been lucky (and I drive carefully) to have attained 44K miles on my Bridgestone Insignia 200s. I have been unable to find much current info on these LRR tires. I am considering Yokohama Avid TRZ tires. They are rated well (nothing on the LRR) and have an 80K tread warrenty. Has anyone used the TRZs or have a suggestion for some good LRR tires? Thanks ,

Old 04-01-2008, 07:16 AM
Wish I new it all!
Default Re: LRR Tires

I will sell you my stock Dunlops off my 2008 Civic Hybrid, I got aftermarket wheels and tires put on my at only 58 miles and the stocks are just sitting in my garage. Bear in mind that I bought my car on St. Patty's day, so they haven't been sitting long.

As for other advice, I ended up buying non-LRR tires, so I really don't have much.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default LRR Tires

Michelin Primacy HP tires are considered LLR tires and are used in Europe as OEM LLR tires on Audi and Mercedes econbox diesels. They are not the cheapest tire, and are classified as a "summer" tire.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

the info that was available on lrr tires is so out dated. you figure they would have an updated with all the hybrids now. but no avail.

http://greenseal.org/resources/repor...resistance.pdf

Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I purchased Sumitomo HTR-T4 All seasons to replace my Dunlops, and I can report that I find no significant decrease in mileage. If I understand correctly Consumer Reports rated these tires as being LRR several months (perhaps even a couple of years?) ago.

Tire Rack just started carrying them within the last 90 days.

I have 2500 miles on them and I am very pleased thus far...

Old 04-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not an expert, but when I changed tires about 3 months ago, it seemed that the definition what LRR was or was not varied by manufacturer. I ended up buying the Nokian I3s and after some initial angst and the break-in period I am very pleased. They do not roll as well as the OEM Dunlop's but I feel like I have more control/better handling. I've made up for the loss in FE by blocking the grill and adding the block heater.

During my research, I did find some info in a VW TDI forum of a corresondence with a Nokian rep who indicated that their best LRR tires are full silica tires (they are listed as their summer tires) but seem to have a low mileage life (25K). Here is the link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=140094

Hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased the Continiental PremierContact LRR about 6 weeks ago. I am just now getting out of the break in period and they seem to be doing nicely. They still ride very smooth even though I have them inflated to the sidewall max (44 psi). I made my decision based on the fact that I need some what of some light snow traction and they were highly rated on ConsumerReports.com.

Anthony